RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Silly question about slides?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Silly question about slides?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ouremptynest

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few weeks into full time in the 5th wheel, we've been 'pondering' something that I can't seem to find by searching the forums or google.

Is there a weight limit on slides in an RV? Hubby is on the heavy side and we've decided to put 'his chair' in the back of the RV where it is not on a slide. But we are really curious about any concerns we should have about too much weight (or movement) on the slides.

Thanks!

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine if hubby is topping 350lb that may be an issue.

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the design and make of the slide.

How many supports does it have?
How far out does it go?
How Mush does he weight + the combined weight of everything else on that slide(in the cabinets and stuff)?
How much weight can the motors push?

My Slides on my Class A have storage compartments on the slide so I'm sure its rated to a bit more than ones that aren't as it has to move whatever is stored out as well. It's things like that, that can affect the design. Not all slides are alike. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer if its not in your "Owners Info or Manual" and see what they say.

My thought would be it is probably OK as long as the weight isn't to much for the motors to handle and the slides to support. I would confirm this with your manufacturer though.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have three slides.....
6' with sofa/bed
10' with pantry, entertainment center and dining room table
Bedroom with queen size bed and under bed storage.

I'm 6'2" @ 285# (+).....GF is 5'8" and not going public with her weight
We both sit on sofa/bed at same time
We both sit at table at same time......TV, storage cabinet behind & below and three self pantry full of canned goods, bottles, boxes etc. plus under it is large container of dog food (40#) plus trash can.
We both sleep in bed at same time, OEM mattress replaced with a full queen tempuredic mattress (very heavy) plus all the stuff stored under bed.

We FT and every thing we own is with us.
5 1/2 yrs. and slides haven't sagged.........go in/out smoothly and no know/apparent problems.

I'm sure that there is a 'weight limit' but I don't think we have found or exceeded it yet.

Sit, relax and enjoy your slides.
If really worried about or need to know exact numbers.....call the mfg.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

ouremptynest

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. I checked the owners manual and searched the manufactures owners site (Keystone Montana) . . but hadn't thought to contact the manufacturer!

If we were just camping occasionally I wouldn't be concerned. . . it's the day in / day out that I'm a little concerned with. I'm actually not sure of his weight . . . but it's not over 350.

I'll ask him (he's not here now) and check with the manufacturer.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different answers for different RVs I suspect. My slide has a dining table with 4 chairs and a sofa that seats three so I'm sure it will hold at least that much and really can't imagine having MORE weight in it. Of course when using the trailer it has the cabinets and storage areas in the slide also filled. There is no PUBLISHED limitation on it's weight but EVERYTHING has some sort of limit.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing to consider about the question "is the motor strong enough?" is the fact that his weight will not be on the slide when you extend it or when you retract it so that does not even figure into the equation. If your slide has storage outside compartments that go in and out with the slides, I would rearange the storage and put lighter things in those compartments.
I would suggest that you go outside and watch the slide and have your hubby step into the slide and watch for any deflection that might indicate to much weight. give it a try

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't have him in his chair while the slide is moving but he isn't going to hurt anything just sitting in the slide while it's static.
Don't worry.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

One more thing to consider about the question "is the motor strong enough?" is the fact that his weight will not be on the slide when you extend it or when you retract it so that does not even figure into the equation. If your slide has storage outside compartments that go in and out with the slides, I would rearange the storage and put lighter things in those compartments.
I would suggest that you go outside and watch the slide and have your hubby step into the slide and watch for any deflection that might indicate to much weight. give it a try

I included that as it has to be part of the design specs for the slide. I'm an Engineer I look at all the specs not just one or two. Being as we don't know her exact setup, for example what she already has stored on the slide, how much the chair will weigh and so forth. I thought it prudent to ask thought provoking questions to ensure that she didn't miss something. I have a drop floor slide so the amount of weight in the cabinets and storage compartments on that side would matter more. However being as that is also my largest compartments that adds some danger to it. For her though she has to take her setup into account and answering all those questions should ensure her slide lasts a good long time. The manufacturer should be able to provide numbers assuming they did their due diligence in the design stage and had an engineer(if there were any at all) run the calc to know how much can be supported per square inch. Though you also have to take into acount if it can hold for example 150lbs/ftsq then that is an average possibly so if you put 150lbs/ftsq at the outer edge of the slide due to leverage it may be too much. Assuming the engineers took this into account and the number provided is a conservative number with a safety margin and the 150lbs/ftsq is at the outer edge with a fudge factor, then putting something at 200lbs/ftsq near the inner side of the slide might be ok. Since we don't know all the design specs or calcs though asking a few extra thought provoking questions for consideration is probably a good idea even if theoretically it will never come into play. What would happen if this wasn't considered and the motor burnt out due increased resistance due to to much weight stored overall, even though the husbands weight was fine when the slide was stationary.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i dont know the whole answer
but I've seen really big peopke shopping RV's

Why are people posting about the motors and weight
that slide doesn't have too move hubby, he will be the one standing up and pushing the button
his weight is "STATIC" when he is sitting in his chair,
i would suggest he refrain from doing any vigorous excecise like jumping jacks while standing in the slide , other wise it should be No Problem have him and his chair there

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Silly question about slides?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: