|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Uneven tire wear

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
campingnodak

north dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New to the rv world and this blog. Bought a used 2012 Gulfstream 2 weeks ago and took it on a 250 round trip camp and all 4 tires wore the tread off the inside and outside. The tire pressure is good, just wondering if the axels might be off? The dealership is trying to tell me its a used trailer so I'm on my own. Any input will help. Thanks

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The type od wear that you describe is due to over loading or low pressure. Air the tires to the max.

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

clearnetedm

Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Near the bottom of this doc has some good advice on different tire wear. I think page 25.
alko

Btw what size of tire and loadrange, as well as the psi you are running at?

2013 F150 XLT 3.5EB Max Tow
2008 Ford Expy EL
2012 Rockwood 2601S

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a trailer that one axle was put into place crooked by about 1/2 inch. But my tread wear took a lot to see that kind of wear. I just rotated tires and wear was evened out then. If you are "on your own" I would take it to an alignment place that is repected where you live. Spent some time on the phone and find a good one. I found a good one by asking at alignment shops that didn't have the overhead heigth to get my mh in where they would take it to. When 2 names poped up the same I went there and was happy with results (not the price) but results. You might have wrong springs or brackets or whatever put on by manufacture that are wrong. And could eb simple fix.
Never heard of that much wear in 250 miles something is wrong and I would trust a business that alignments are their only business more so than a RV dealer. JMO

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campingnodak wrote:

= The tire pressure is good,

Have you weighed the trailer ready for camping? If not, the tire pressure may NOT be good. If the axle was crooked the wear would be across the entire tire as you would be scuffing it. Wear on inside and outside is indicative of PSI too low. Weigh your rig and then check your air pressure.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All four tires wearing on the inside and the outside is almost guaranteed to be low air pressure?

All four tires wearing that quickly means the condition causing it is serious and need immediate attention?

It is the air that carries the load not the tire? low PSI and overloading are technically the same thing? the tires carrying capacity is determined by its air volume and air pressure and its load rating is determined by it ability to hold the air volume at a given pressure?

Your dealer may have been legally correct but his attitude sucks?

Make sure the trailer has the right tires on it before doing anything (look on the tag on the left front corner of the trailer)? being a used 2012 there may be a related reason it was traded so quick?
If there was and he has hidden it from you the state AG may be of some help?

And be sure to weigh the trailer fully loaded for use before replacing the tires?

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

toaobigal

Chambly, Quebec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you bought a Visa, you're not the only one with that problem. They come with Trail America bias ply tire and they are ultra cheap tires. A good set of radials might help a lot, and curiously, radials are optional for 2013 models!

2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size tires do you have on your Gulfstream and what pressure are you running in them?
BTW, welcome to the forum.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All 4 wearing exactly the same....I guess it could be the axles, but wouldn't both axles have to be in and be off the same if all 4 tires are doing the same thing. You said your tire pressure was good but that could mean same pressure all the way around but set too low (more likely)

Back to the axles, call the manufac, it's a 2012 no matter how you look at it. Friend of mine had Forest River replace both axles and all tires.... two sets wore out before they did anything and his 5er was 3 years old.

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey,Dexter(Golden),Bruno(Pug)
Forest River Cardinal 362bhs 2006
2005 Chevy duramax dually 4x4 crew cab,Ultra Goliath wheels with Nitto Dura Grapplers and Banks exhaust.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The two most COMMON reasons for uneven tire wear are overloading the axle weight and alignment issues. If you have your actual loaded weights you may be able to rule in or out, overloading but if you do not, I'd have the axle alignment checked. Poorly aligned axles is ALSO one reason for trailer sway incidents so it's more than just your tires that COULD be at risk.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Uneven tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS