RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Retracting a Stranger's Mechanical Awning in a Storm?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Retracting a Stranger's Mechanical Awning in a Storm?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lostmarbles wrote:

L I A B I L I T Y....
As I said earlier, the only liability I'd be concerned with is being liable to break a finger or get smacked in the face with a bar. Awnings in wind can be dangerous.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

Sea Dog wrote:

In Canada, sure!
In the US, there are so many different attitudes, I think I would just pass.

I don't know when or how we in the US got so damn defensive.

Are you serious? Have you seen how many frivolous lawsuits are won everyday? People are defensive for good reason.

I absolutely can understand why some people would be afraid to even touch another person's RV. Some people are just real jerks, and the problem is you can't tell who is and who isn't by the rig they drive or park.

While I would roll up an awning if the storm blew in and was pretty strong, I'd still be wondering if I should have even touched it for this very reason. We live in a very litigious society.

MALE*RN*777

Western MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was sitting in my camper this last time out when a big rain storm came. The two campers behind us were family friends and very nice to us also. Anyway sitting in the camper I looked out and he and his friends EZ UPs Tents were up and I said to my wife. I wonder if that is one of those new EZ UPs that the water drains off well. As I turned and was getting up from the seat to go out and checked the thing collapse. I felt so bad because if I would have checked a minute earlier it may have been saved but when I went out the friend was coming out also. I then went over to check his awning and it was tilted well. Then this same poor guy and family was gone during another storm which they had his things put away (Toy Hauler) anyway a huge lightening strike came and I thing it was only a couple hundred yards away. Later found out it fried his tv, dvd and elec hot water tank. This poor guy had gone back to his house to meet with an A/C guy because the week before the lightening took out his house A/C. He was so calm about what had happened even when I joked about making sure we didn't camp anywhere near him again.

03 Ford F150 XLT
Good-bye old friend --- 01 Coleman Sante Fe Pop-up
Hello new friend --- 09 KZ Coyote 23CR Hybrid
Me ,The Wife,The Boy,Girl 1 ,Girl 2
We are Blessed.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THE biggest danger of taking an awning down in a storm or prior to, is if you have the arms released, and you haven't rolled it up yet and that wind hits, the awning is toast. Personally I think all the people who want to run to take others awnings down have not been RV'ing that long to have experienced all there is to 'when' you can take it down safely and at what point during a storm you can't.

I think the BIG question is, do you want to be standing there hanging on to an awning with the arms down after gusts of wind hit before you got to roll it up, and the fabric is flapping and ripping in the wind......and it's 'not' your RV?

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

4gone

Mass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done so, and wouldn't mind if someone did the same.

2007 Damon Daybreak 3276
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Even Brake
Firestone air bags
Blue Ox Alladin tow bar
Hankook Tires

hilldude

Red house WV

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I helped put up someones awning,and saw one lost this summer while trying to get mine up.Storm came up so fast did not have time for neighbors awning.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

Never. Absolutely not ever under any circumstances will I so much as TOUCH another person's awning unless I am explicitly asked to do so. Not worth the risk.

Amen to that! Ditto X10!

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never. Absolutely not ever under any circumstances will I so much as TOUCH another person's awning unless I am explicitly asked to do so. Not worth the risk.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Sooner Schooner

On a Roll

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I am not following along correctly, let me get this straight. There is an approaching storm, your neighbor's awning is out and it is very likely that it will be damaged by the wind. You have the opportunity to help a neighbor before the storm arrives, please tell me what you think may go wrong. For you guys that have stated that you would NEVER touch the neighbor's awning, rest assured that I would help you in the time of need.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mont G&J wrote:

Have any of you ever noticed that the Campground Host riding around in his golf cart never stops and rolls-up a camper's awning? Wonder why that is.
I don't know about all parks, but at mine, our Insurance is VERY specific about not doing any work or repairs on RVs. If we tried and failed to secure an awning, you can bet we will be expected to buy a new one, and that is something I have no intention of doing, hence my employees are not allowed to put up awnings, secure guests belonging or touch anything else in a guest's site. Like another poster said, blame the lawyers and the people who believe that whenever something bad happens there is someone else besides themselves to blame.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Retracting a Stranger's Mechanical Awning in a Storm?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS