|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> WDH Bars

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After weighing in I wanted to try an get a little more weight on the front axle. I normally have 3 links haning in my WDH so I grabbed a extra link to four links hanging. It did raise the rear about 3/8" and dropped the front end almost a 1/2". I like the added weight to the front end but the bars are not as level as they were at 3 links. I have already angled the head about as much as I am comfortable with.

What do you think?

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should forget about having the bars "level".

You have at least five links under tension, and that's the only real requirement.

How much weight do you now have on the front axle compared to the unhitched weight?

BTW, when you hook the chain onto the lift-bracket hook, can you keep the untensioned link away from the hook so it does not cause the top tensioned link to be skewed?

Ron

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the picture it looks like the truck's receiver is tilted forward quite a bit. Even with the hitch head tilted all the way back it looks like it's barely vertical.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were my set-up, I would add a tad more ball mount tilt (if available) toward the TH so the ball coupler rests a little more square to the ball mount..... but that's just me....., then adjust the number of links under tension (as mentioned, minimum of 5 ) accordingly to meet the required TV front suspension weight transfer.

It may just be the angle that the photo was taken, but it appears to reflect a notable "upward' receiver pin box flex(?).

Bob

02 Chevy, 2500HD/4x4, 6.0L/4:10, GVWR 9,200lbs., GCWR 16,000lbs.
05 Jayco Eagle, 278FBS, GVWR 9,000lbs.
TV/TT loaded: 14,700lbs.
Loaded Tongue Weight: 1,250lbs.
Loaded TT weight: 8,400
Putnam XDR Class V, Reese HP Dual Cam.

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The head does not angle up like it shows in the picture. that must be a weird angle with the camera.

It's been so long since I weighed my empty truck I can't remember what it was. It's a 1999 7.3 long bed 2WD extended cab.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that hitch does look like it is too far tipped forward. I would move it back aft one more notch and try it.

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go with more under tension links and tilt that hitch head.

You have clearance now but if you don't like the upward tilt of the bars, you'll need to tilt the hitch head to get the job done.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

After weighing in I wanted to try an get a little more weight on the front axle. I normally have 3 links haning in my WDH so I grabbed a extra link to four links hanging. It did raise the rear about 3/8" and dropped the front end almost a 1/2". I like the added weight to the front end but the bars are not as level as they were at 3 links. I have already angled the head about as much as I am comfortable with.

What do you think?

You say you raised the rear about 3/8" and dropped the front end almost a 1/2". Is this as compared to not having the trailer hitched or from your previous configuration? Raising the rear is not recommended, taking weight off the rear axle. Both front and rear should lower equally or the rear slightly more than the front. There are separate opinions on both ways.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks OK to me except I would redo the chain so the 4th link is not trapped like was previously suggested.
That being said, me, I would try tilting the head back some more.

I want the front end of the TV to come down some as the only reason I use a WDH is to keep the headlights on the road.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

It's been so long since I weighed my empty truck I can't remember what it was.---
Okay -- I thought you meant you had recently weighed.

When you went from six links under tension (3 links hanging) to five links under tension (4 links hanging), the rear height increased about 3/8" and the front decreased about 1/2". Is this correct?

Since you don't have weights --

With 5 links under tension (4 links hanging), is the front higher or lower than the unhitched height, and how much higher or lower?

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> WDH Bars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS