RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Axle alignment on 5th wheel in Northern ID or Eastern WA,

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Axle alignment on 5th wheel in Northern ID or Eastern WA,

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am in desperate need of an axle alignment on a 5th wheel 6000 lb Dexter axle. Have been trying for 5 days for an appointment at Ken's alignment here in Kalispell without success. Now looking for a alignment shop in Northern Idaho along highway 2 or South to Spokane, WA or Coeur D'Alene, ID. Any one have a recommendation where I can get this done. One tire showing wear on one outside edge. Tire itself does not have tread separation. Would prefer to be able to save the tire. Any help would be appreciated. TIA. Leaving Kalispell on Sunday morning.

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked your hanger bolts or upgraded the hangers to wet bolts, if it has not being done your hangers may be wearing oblong causing the tires to pull out of alignment.

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alboy wrote:

Have you checked your hanger bolts or upgraded the hangers to wet bolts, if it has not being done your hangers may be wearing oblong causing the tires to pull out of alignment.

Don't think that is the problem as we have watched that wear pretty closely. Only have about 15,000 miles on the 5th wheel. If anything, I might accept that the front axle in total is not square with the trailer or parallel with the back axle. There is less space between the tires on the left side but have believed that to be due to the left side is where the kitchen is and is heavier on that side. But that may be a incorrect analysis. I've been a bit concerned about the alignment for some time but I now have just noticed, for the first time, unusual tire wear on the outside edge on the left front tire. An alignment shop will be able to see what the real problem is but having trouble finding one that isn't scheduled out a week or more and we are on the road traveling and need to get back home.

* This post was edited 08/03/12 10:38pm by LostinAZ *

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 12:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a close friend from South Dakota who buys and services the TTs and 5ers that they bought over the years at R'nR RV in Liberty Lake, WA. They swear by them and won't let anyone service their trailers.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gotsmart wrote:

I have a close friend from South Dakota who buys and services the TTs and 5ers that they bought over the years at R'nR RV in Liberty Lake, WA. They swear by them and won't let anyone service their trailers.

Thank You very much. I havefound out they can do the axle alignment but now need to see if we can get a quick appt. Thanks again.

Nana of 11

Sandpoint Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are near you in Sandpoint Idaho.... Call lake RV 208)263-3922 They are GREAT, long time friend. Ask for Orval tell him Dave & Bren referred you. shoot us an email if we can help. I see someone suggested R&R they are good as well but much farther, near Spokane, Wa. Good luck

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 02:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nana of 11 wrote:

we are near you in Sandpoint Idaho.... Call lake RV 208)263-3922 They are GREAT, long time friend. Ask for Orval tell him Dave & Bren referred you. shoot us an email if we can help. I see someone suggested R&R they are good as well but much farther, near Spokane, Wa. Good luck

Thank You very much. We will give them a call first thing Monday morning.

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was at the door at Lake RV at 8:00AM Monday morning. Unfortunately they do not do axle alignment work. Immediately called R n R in Liberty Lake, WA. Talked them into an appointment at 9:00AM Tuesday morning. They checked alignment and tire wear. According to their measurements there was no alignment issues and each wheel was within specs. Their only conclusion was that the tires were wearing on the edges differently from tire to tire. Some on the outside edge, some on the inside edge and some on both. According to them I had the tires over inflated by 10 PSI which would reduce any edge wear. I later found out their tire gauge was off by 10 lbs so I had the tires spot on at 80 PSI. Three of my gauges were all within 1 PSI. But... the general consensus was ...... the unusual tire wear was due to this particular brand tire presently on my 5th wheel. "Free Star", replacement for the OEM Mission tires. I was relieved to find out that both my axles and all 4 wheels are in alignment. But. am now concerned about how long the Free Star tires are going to last.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would move up to a better tire type for your trailers 6k axles. We've had other posters report simular odd wear patterns with ST tires. They upgraded to a LT tire and no more of those types of wear patterns or ST tire reliability issues.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LostinAZ wrote:

Was at the door at Lake RV at 8:00AM Monday morning. Unfortunately they do not do axle alignment work. Immediately called R n R in Liberty Lake, WA. Talked them into an appointment at 9:00AM Tuesday morning. They checked alignment and tire wear. According to their measurements there was no alignment issues and each wheel was within specs. Their only conclusion was that the tires were wearing on the edges differently from tire to tire. Some on the outside edge, some on the inside edge and some on both. According to them I had the tires over inflated by 10 PSI which would reduce any edge wear. I later found out their tire gauge was off by 10 lbs so I had the tires spot on at 80 PSI. Three of my gauges were all within 1 PSI. But... the general consensus was ...... the unusual tire wear was due to this particular brand tire presently on my 5th wheel. "Free Star", replacement for the OEM Mission tires. I was relieved to find out that both my axles and all 4 wheels are in alignment. But. am now concerned about how long the Free Star tires are going to last.

Did they do a Laser beam type alignment or a string and tape alignment? IF a typical string and tape "Lippert" a;ignment check -you still need to get that trailer on a rack.

Washington Auto Carriage can do axle alignments -if memory is correct -lived in Spokane for 18 years...
http://waautocarriage.com/repair_trailer.html

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Axle alignment on 5th wheel in Northern ID or Eastern WA,
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS