|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> RV boondocking Menus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ray55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't cook or prepare a lot of foods ahead. I do make sure every inch of refrigeration space is filled with fresh vegtables, meats, eggs and dairy products. Freezer is filled with frozen meats, ice and frozen water bottles.

I use a lot of short cooking time packets (Uncle Bens Rice, Knorr noodle or rice dishes) and canned items. Canned vegetables,fruits and prepared items like beans, stew or chilly. I use the grill as much as possible.

If you purchase foods right before you go or along the way (stop at regular grocery stores not camp stores or gas stations to keep cost down) you can keep potatoes, onions , carrots, beets, corn on the cob, apples, citrus, mellons for at least two weeks at room temperature. Buy what is in season where you are. I had a near knock out fight because I refused to buy fresh fruit in Las Vegas this past summer. Later that day we were in California buying from road side stands at 1/3 the cost of the produce in Nevada. Not to mention they do not want you taking produce into California even if it was grown there.

Camping for me is about doing things not so much about eating. At home you can live on my food but I seldom have any one rave about it being the best they ever had.

I used to take several week long hiking trips still take multy week canoe trips without refrigeration. Those get harder to do. You have to figure out how to get your protein without the ability to cook fresh meat past day three. Of course there is the expensive dehydrated foods and they do taste pretty good these days but I still do not like them.

I carry powdered milk as well as shelf stable milk to use once the regular milk is used up. Eating instant gritts or oatmeal can eliminate/reduce the milk demand for cerel. I use egg beaters as they transport better and are a little forgiving on the temperature when unopened. I use shelf stable summer sausage in lunches.

Most of the differince in what I eat while camping is I cook from scratch at home but use mixes, boxes, store bought canned items when camping. At home I would make a pie crust from flour when camping I would use a premade crust or a mix. Most likely a mix and make it a cobbler instead of a pie.

I avoid glass containers and purchase in plastic/metal or transfer the product to a plastic/metal container.

US Army Retired X 2 (Both wife and I)
2012 North Trail TT 30QOK
2005 Dodge deisel 2500 HD, shortbed, 6 speed manual, Equalizer Hitch, Warn Winch, highlift jack, Honda Gen Set, Winona Canoe

jan johns

Bethel Park, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are a bit stuck on the no hookups cooking (very low water consumption) although we could use help for when we are also using electric. We are planning on being in our little trailer (16') Marco for at least six months in the next eight months. We hope to find camping without hookups in the wilderness "our way to go" for at least half of that time since I have asthma and can not tolerate campfire smoke.

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can always make some meatless spaghetti. Boil spaghetti noodles/pasta and empty a can or jar of spaghetti sauce in a pan and heat it up. Some of the canned/jar sauce have meat variations.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can of dainty Moore beef stew.

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ramen noodles. In the store there are many dried entres that you just add water to and microwave. Beans and weinies.

Ray55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing about canned foods they often come packed in water and could if you had to be eaten right from the can without heating. Heavy and often high in sodium is the negative. Years (ok decades) ago on a limited budget working some then moving down the road while on a car/tent trip aross the country I purchased some cases of bake beans. Got real sick of bake beans but at least we ate even during a terrible storm when getting a fire going was near impossible.

Are there any water sources near where you want to camp? Have you considered water filtering /purifying ? If you have a lake/stream I would recommend filling a bucket/container letting it settle out 24 hours, drawing the water off from the top to leave the crud on the bottom, filtering (I would use a filter that you fill and let gravity flow put it thru the filter, they also sell pump filters that work very well and faster ) then adding 5 to 7 drops of regular chlorine bleach (5% unscented) to every gallon, letting it sit for 1/2 hour before using. I would use a filter that had a activated carbon attachment or stage to it to help remove any pesticides. Get a filter with the smallest micron size you can afford.

The water would have to be sweat , non alkalien to do this. No visible oil or gasoline /chemical smells. If you see bugs and fish that is a good thing and it can be filtered and treated.

Many people will tell you if you filter you do not need chlorine or the settling step. Additional info on treating water and using it for drinking can be found at the CDC web site www.cdc.gov . I have used the three step settle/filter/ chlorinate in Asia, Europe and the Americas (South/ Central/ North) without any problems.

If you have electric - consider a crockpot. Put a cheap cut of meat in there with some vegtables and a little water turn it on go play and come back to some tasty food. Many also use electric skillets or George Foreman type grills. If you have a problem with smokethese would work well and cook more evenly and quicker than wood or charcoal. Look for crockpots, skillets and Foreman grills at second hand stores or garage sales.

* This post was edited 08/05/12 06:31am by Ray55 *

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tent camped for six weeks several times, often far from anything except conveinence stores. I found I used more canned food than I usually do. Go thru a supermarket and look the shelves over.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camping.piper wrote:

Oh, here's something a lot of people don't know -- you can store eggs at room temperature. Do a google search if you're not sure. If you have any doubts about food safety, all you need to do to set your mind at ease is to fully cook them (hard or scrambled).

My wife and I eat a bit of canned fish. It has a lot of protein. On hikes we frequently take salmon in a pouch. It's lighter than a can.

I know about storing eggs at room temperature but only if they have not been refrigerated previously, right? Plus, room temperature is not a hot room temperature.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

campermax

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We boondock for. up to 2 weeks at a time and one of our favorites is a Mexican pie. We have a little fold up oven from Coleman which works awesome . The wife bought it for $20. Bucks!

camping.piper

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, here's something a lot of people don't know -- you can store eggs at room temperature. Do a google search if you're not sure. If you have any doubts about food safety, all you need to do to set your mind at ease is to fully cook them (hard or scrambled).

My wife and I eat a bit of canned fish. It has a lot of protein. On hikes we frequently take salmon in a pouch. It's lighter than a can.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> RV boondocking Menus
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS