|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New truck to pull fiver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the unloaded weight of the trailer is about 10.4K and the carrying capacity is 3.8K, the GVWR of the trailer is about 14.2K. If the wife does load the trailer close to GVWR, you probably need the F350 dually you mentioned. I personally would not buy the 6.0 diesel due to the problems many of them have had. I would buy a 7.3, 6.4 or 6.7. The newer 6.7 will cost more, but would be my choice if in your budget. Good luck.

WellShooter2

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tjar66 wrote:

In California, you need a special endorsement when towing a trailer rated over a certain weight. I think it is 10,000 or 12,000 for a conventional trailer and 15,000 pounds for a fifth wheel. It is the Maximum GVWR rating, not the actual weight that the CHP is writing tickets for. Out of state licensed trailers do not require this special endorsement.

Fred.

I know this all to well as I just went through it two days ago. The weights for 5ers is over 10k but under 15k you need a simple endorsement to your class C license. You take a written test and there is no fee unless your DL expires within 6 months. Over 15K you need a class A non commercial DL which requires you to take the same written test as well as a driving test and carry a health card. It is based on the GVWR of the trailer. Don't be surprised if the DMV has no idea what you are talking about.

The question to me is "Which is cheaper the license or the fine?" A few years ago the cost to register a boat trailer was $150 and the fine was $50. That meant I could go to the lake three times a year and get a ticket every time (unlikely). You guys that are always chasing down obscure laws should try breaking a few, it's exhilarating.

2008 2500HD D/A
2008 Keystone Challenger

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not sure why we are talking about californias' laws. I also have a Carriage 32 ft. long. I have not weighed, but do know the F250 2011 with 6.7 diesel has plenty of power, but not enough load capacity. I did have a F350 srw which would have been about right for the carriage. You might want to stay away from the 6.0. I knew the problems they could have so traded for a different unit. You could probably get by with F350 SRW, but duals would be better. If at all possible look at the Fords with 6.7. May be hard to find a used unit. I guess the 6.4 would be OK but I kknow of some that had a lot of problems. Good luck in finding a great unit.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

usmohls2@yahoo.com

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kaydeejay wrote:

Oh no, now you've done it! This will let loose the 7.3 vs the 6.0 vs the 6.4 vs the 6.7 liter hounds.
I have an easier solution - get a Duramax!

2X

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WellShooter2 wrote:

tjar66 wrote:

In California, you need a special endorsement when towing a trailer rated over a certain weight. I think it is 10,000 or 12,000 for a conventional trailer and 15,000 pounds for a fifth wheel. It is the Maximum GVWR rating, not the actual weight that the CHP is writing tickets for. Out of state licensed trailers do not require this special endorsement.

Fred.

I know this all to well as I just went through it two days ago. The weights for 5ers is over 10k but under 15k you need a simple endorsement to your class C license. You take a written test and there is no fee unless your DL expires within 6 months. Over 15K you need a class A non commercial DL which requires you to take the same written test as well as a driving test and carry a health card. It is based on the GVWR of the trailer. Don't be surprised if the DMV has no idea what you are talking about.

The question to me is "Which is cheaper the license or the fine?" A few years ago the cost to register a boat trailer was $150 and the fine was $50. That meant I could go to the lake three times a year and get a ticket every time (unlikely). You guys that are always chasing down obscure laws should try breaking a few, it's exhilarating.

What a hoot. I ran my 16 ft flatbed for over 10 years with expired plate tags. It had beed from AR to Nc and points in bwetween. So the neighbor used it to go to VA to haul an ultralight back to IL. he bailed out and got me new plates for the thing. That is how it is done.

glodal134

OHIO

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the comments everyone. After talking to various people and reading the posts on different web sites, I will stay away from the 6.0 engine. My next truck will be a Ford and will be a F350 Diesel.
With a lot of research and a little luck I will find what i need thanks to the internet.

Frankbaker

Devore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's pretty common knowledge that you don't want to get newer than a 2002 F350 diesel. The engines after that were reportedly crap. Before I lost the rig, my s/o & I did 2+ years of full-timing with a 2002 F350 towing a 36' 2001 Alfa Ideal 5er. It was *****en! (Found truck & trailer on eBay)

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kaydeejay wrote:

Oh no, now you've done it! This will let loose the 7.3 vs the 6.0 vs the 6.4 vs the 6.7 liter hounds.
I have an easier solution - get a Duramax!

There you go again forgetting about us 5.9 Cummins guys.

Might consider a RAM 3500 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins.

I pull the same size and weight with my 01 5.9, with 252K on it.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 273,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New truck to pull fiver
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: