RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: MH Genny prob?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> MH Genny prob?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jk31668

so. new jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have an onan genny in the mh which rarely has been used other than the usual monthly exercising. it has always started and been fine. today when i went to run it, it started right up as usual however, the transfer switch never engaged and gave the coach electricity. 0 nada. i tried shutting it down, waited a few minutes and restarted but still nuttin. any thoughts? all switches/circuits in the box are fine. ???

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jk31668 wrote:

have an onan genny in the mh which rarely has been used other than the usual monthly exercising. it has always started and been fine. today when i went to run it, it started right up as usual however, the transfer switch never engaged and gave the coach electricity. 0 nada. i tried shutting it down, waited a few minutes and restarted but still nuttin. any thoughts? all switches/circuits in the box are fine. ???

I am not sure if anyone else suggested, but did you check the circuit breaker on the generator? This would be the first place to start.

If the circuit breaker is okay next you need to make sure that the generator is producing power. This can be checked at the automatic transfer switch. Remove the cover and determine which wires are coming from the generator. There should be three sets of wires: one set from the generator, one set from shore power, and one set going to the power distribution panel which is most likely located inside the MH. With the generator running, use a VOM meter check each set of wires for voltage (120 VAC). If you have power coming from the generator, then the problem may be the transfer switch.

When plugged into shower power, does everything work? If so, then the transfer switch is not recognizing the power from the generator and is not switching over. The transfer switch most likely has 2 relays. One of the relays may be bad or the the contacts may be stuck together. Also, there is a time delay when the generator is started when shore power connected. On most MH's the generator takes priority over the shower power.

Ray

jk31668

so. new jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, all the shore power items are fine. seems strange since the genny only has 24 hours on it. where would i look for the genny circuit breaker? somewhere on the genny itself? there's no circuit on the inside breaker box marked generator. thanks

frankdamp

Anacortes, or wherever we've gone.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my Onan 5.5 KVA generator there are two breakers right alongside the start/stop/prime switch on the generator. They're accessible with the generator box front cover removed.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen
Anacortes, WA

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10, bought used in 2010 at 13,000 miles.
Dogs - 2 Labs again, both yellow males, both 9 yrs old and both adopted.

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See if it runs on Starting fluid.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your MH power cable plugged into the generator socket? You unplug it to plug into shore power, but on some you have to plug it back into the generator socket to power MH.

- JC

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockportrocket wrote:

See if it runs on Starting fluid.

OP does not have a problem getting the generator to start/run; it doesn't put out voltage. Starter fluid will not help his problem.

Ray

philandterri

Westtown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the same problem with our generator. After changing the transfer switch, checking breakers and whatever else was suggested, nothing worked. Took it to an Onan dealer. The problem was a bad voltage regulator.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two thoughts:

1: The breakers someone mentioned up-thread.. Sometimes just vibration from driving down teh highway will "tripp" these things to off. Not to mention the major shake up when the generator shuts down.

2: And this happened to me... Bat auto transfer switch.
(Thankfully it happened during the warranty period).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> MH Genny prob?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS