|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why does Good Sam Rally Cost More

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it to attend a GS or FMCA Rally the cost is more per night than a camp ground?

The Camp ground provides water.electric.sewer hookup. FMCA/GS provide nothing and demand no gen after certain hour.

The GS/FMCA Rally is most often in a fair ground field stacked very close.

Again why is it so expensive to attend a Rally of the Big Two?

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do spend some money to set up the temporary campground, and things like a big tent to host certain events.

But you are not required to attend them.

Some don't mind spending the money if they get great service and don't have to plan things like sightseeing adventures, or where to eat each night.

Fred.

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

They do spend some money to set up the temporary campground, and things like a big tent to host certain events.

But you are not required to attend them.

Some don't mind spending the money if they get great service and don't have to plan things like sightseeing adventures, or where to eat each night.

Fred.

Does not the vendors pay for privilege?

Members, I think, should get a discount and the vendors should pay the costs.

I do not understand the why of charging camping fee and entrance fee and additional fees for this or that.

As for volunteering, I do not understand paying full privilege for the right to help them make money?

I do not attend the rallies for these reasons. I am not young but if the organizations are looking to retain and expand membership they must look to catering to members more than vendors.

Oh, I was CEO of an outdoor festival for many years. The vendors paid all the costs plus we made a net gain for the non profit organizations. All staff was volunteer and got some perks. Ride tickets, discount food, preferred parking etc.

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously you know about vending!!! Trust me the vendors pay quite a lot for the "privilege", as you call it with absolutely no guarantee of making any profit, whatsoever, over and above all the costs involved in vending at such events. We pay booth fees, additional costs for electric, WiFi, etc., not to mention we also have to pay for our camping too!

It is also apparent you have no concept of what it costs to put on an event that large...if you did you would not even ask such a question. In addition to vending I also work with the Heartland Owner's Club to produce their annual rally, which pales in comparison to the GS or FMCA rallies, and am stunned at what Heartland pays to subsidize their rally in order to keep costs affordable for their members....it is in the tens of thousands of dollars, and we're only talking several hundred rigs. I cannot imagine, with what "the Rally" provides, I.e., entertainment, etc., what they pay to subsidize such an event.

It boils down to this...you don't want to pay the cost...stay home...JMHO.

By the way, without vendors, which includes the RV dealers at these events, there would be no event...again...JMHO.

* This post was edited 08/04/12 02:28pm by kakampers *

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Entertainment, food, entertainment, prizes, entertainment, grounds rent, entertainment, generator rentals, employees payroll, and hotel/RV rental for the big shots. To volunteer is up to each individual as to if it's worth it them. We have been to a few Rallies and most have top notch entertainment and some good seminars. Over all if it's in the area we're in at the time we might go.
We find a lot of the different State Sambroees to be just as much fun at a lot less money.

Dixiechick

Trussville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always enjoy the FMCA Convention in Perry, Georgia. We have done the electric hook-up sites as well as generator sites. There is a lot to experience and the costs for attending are, I think, quite reasonable. I have not heard of anyone complaining about the cost before-maybe you aren't getting enough out of the rally to justify the cost.
We can hardly wait for the next one!

Cathy and Don, finally retired
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

Pogoil

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone wants free. Who is going to pay for free? FREE is going away very rapidly. You get what you pay for if you are lucky these days.

There is really no such thing as free, you pay for it most times and do not even realize it.

Pogoil.

mdock2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As u said, u've never attended a rally. U wouldn't ask the question if u've attended attended a rally. Here's a breakdown for you of the reasons people attend.
Vendors 20%
Seminars 20%
Shows 20%,
Meeting new and old friends 20%
Full 50 amp hook up site 20%
so that's a 100% of the reasons I attend and it breads down to 13 dollars a night for each of those reason (65.00 a night).

Yes the cost appears high, note I said appears high. In Indy, but is it.
If you've not been to Florida in the winter and seen how close the units are parked, then u don't know close. The sites at the Rallys are preset W X W, are u do have room.
I'm not sure about you, but I don't care to here gen-sets all night. If I wanted to run it all night, I would be in the area set up for that.

In closing, don't knock something till you've been there and seen it 1st hand.

marty

Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

past-MIdirector wrote:

Entertainment, food, entertainment, prizes, entertainment, grounds rent, entertainment, generator rentals, employees payroll, and hotel/RV rental for the big shots. To volunteer is up to each individual as to if it's worth it them. We have been to a few Rallies and most have top notch entertainment and some good seminars. Over all if it's in the area we're in at the time we might go.
We find a lot of the different State Sambroees to be just as much fun at a lot less money.

Some places of business call it a Cover Charge.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because they are in it to make money

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why does Good Sam Rally Cost More