|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> etenrabond

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
savitbound

leesburg fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what do I use to clean rubber roof before putting down etenrabond tape
and can I go over old caulking?

Sal and Diane
2005 chev34f Bounder
8.1 and Allison s speed
Saturn Vue toad

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions that come with Eternabond will tell you.. or website.

* This post was edited 08/05/12 11:07am by 2oldman *

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First wash and clean with good brush (I prefer a hand brush for the caulk), then apply Acetone applied with a rag over caulk and all areas where tape will come in contact.
It also helps to carefully remove areas with mounds or thick caulk (using a razor). I found that covering high caulked areas with the tape makes the tape wrinkle and cause air bubbles. I just completed two roofs and I am happy with the results.
Steve

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs wet
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, CC, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Short bed, payload 3,900 lbs.

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Steve said X2. If doing a large amount, get a small wall paper roller to work the bubbles out. Keep your knife handy, as slicing a small hole for air to be worked out of bubbles/wrinkles is ok to do. It seals back up well.
Best of luck,
Smitty

jurzbill

Edgewater Florida and this great country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great product. Once it is on, it is on. work slowly and if doing front to rear seam try to do it by rolling out about 6 inchs at a time. I messed up and did sections on one side. more cosmetic than anything else. the side I did in one piece looks much better. clean the area completely. I sealed every seam I could find on roof.

2004 ksdp 39ft
toad:06 Saturn Vue

FMCA F359471, Newmar Kountry Klub 17645
bill, linda cary grant, carley.
chance and chase are with us in spirit and travels with us where ever we go.

PF&PM

Lethbridge, Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will Acetone hurt the rubber roof ? I'm looking at doing some work too .. Is the Newmar roof the same as the poster..? Use the erternabond as well ?

2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog, Two teenage boys..we get around ! Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acetone will not harm the roof. If you are realy worried about it, they make a cleaner and a primer for the Eterna-Bond. I did my roof with and with out the primer and cleaner. I used Acetone always and a heat gun and flexable putty knife that I rounded the edges off so it would not dig into the roof. I also used plane old paint thinner to remove the byutal rubber calk under each roof penatration. I lifted everything except the A/C units and cleaned and resealed everything. I did use the Acetone imediatly after the Paint Thinner to prevent any damage. It took me two seasons to finish everything but I was in no rush to finish. While I had the roof vento out I took pictures of and tried to trace all of the wiring in the openings I exposed and replaced the Ventline piece of******in the bathroom with a new Max-Airr in the bathroom and repainted all of the parts for the Fantastic fan in the living/galley area and replaced the Reefer and sewage vents. While I had the reefer vent open I fished some #16 wire to power two muffin fans to help the reefer in hot weather. Good luck with your project and take your time you will be happier that way when it is done right the first time. Ed

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2005 Ford Focus Automatic Station Wagon
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> etenrabond
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS