RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Does size matter?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Does size matter?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geocritter wrote:

My budgets very slim,.... but now that it's just me and no money to speak of except for social security, ....

I don't think you're going to be able to do all that traveling on your SS check. Live in a MH yes. Travel as much as you plant to - I doubt it.

There was a divorced woman we knew who lived full time in an old small 15.5 Sunline and was perfectly happy. She could pull it with almost anything. She only had the possessions she needed plus a small box of books.

The larger the MH, the less places you will fit with it.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

Geocritter

Somewhere on the road less traveled...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WandaLust2 (cute handle!),

Actually, I've been earning a small amount of money consulting, something I can do anywhere thanks to the internet. I research and write for a large petroleum industry publisher. It's not making me rich, but it helps pay the bills. I've been an avid reader my entire life and I'm hoping to get some magazine articles published. Several years ago I had a hobby of selling things on eBay, after a few months the hobby earned me about $500 a month. I have a fairly good eye for what will resell at a descent price when exposed to a large market. In college I used to buy and sell automobiles, it was how I provided myself with transportation and beer money. In other words, I know how to hustle.

I am taking a closer look at the smaller MH's for that one size fits all parking spaces aspect.

Steve

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sorry your wife can not enjoy this adventure wtih you.

I would stay 28-32 ft. in that range. It means you can fit 'easily' into sites. If it is only you, and you lived without problems in a small TT long ago, I would stay on the smaller side.

It eats up a 'bit' less fuel, you fit in sites, less to clean inside and more.

just be sure to get a floorplan that fits YOU. one that moves easily and has what you want. no rush. find yourself a nice shorter MH and go have fun!!

BeckyIO

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, just one more vote for: go with what feels like it'll work for you.

I'm a solo traveler as well and I'll be full-timing in a 17' travel trailer (I am smaller) as of next month. Am already living in it now and it works well for me. See I'm not much of a fixer-uper type and the smaller it is the less stuff that there is to break. It also takes less time to clean...

Becky
If even 'the road less traveled' doesn't work for you, start creating your own
Lessons on the journey to full-time RVing (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

arnko37

Port Charlotte FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try to keep things simple to keep maintenance costs down, not everything automatic. Trailers keep costs down, not two motor vehicles to insure, you can change a flat tire yourself etc. Then I would check out the Loners On Wheels website, mostly retires folks with chapters in every state. Having company will make a huge difference.

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Steve,
You know it just depends on the camping that you want to do. If you plan on staying mostly at private parks, go big, but if you are thinking about heading for the woods, go smaller. If it were just me, I would look at a Class B or truck camper
We just purchased a repo 2001 TT for under $5000. It was in rough condition and needed a lot of TLC but the only new thing we had to buy was a new toilet. Its 29 foot. There are deals out there but you just have to find them.

Our Road Less Traveled

horizon36

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all go with a floor plan that works for you. Second, get the biggest rig that fits that criteria. In addition I suggest going for a higher end rig as it may be better built and have better insulation.

We have not had any problems getting our mid-sized MH into anyplace we wanted. To keep costs down we dry camp whenever it's convenient or practical. Our average campground fees for the last running 12 months is $10 per day. This summer we are volunteering as camp hosts in exchange for a FHU site at Yellowstone.

Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you're a geologist and can do repairs, etc. you would have absolutely no problem volunteering in national parks, wildlife refuges, etc. I think it would be very good for you. It would give you a purpose, you'll meet some great folks and you'll get a free campsite. The parks have a volunteer coordinator so check out their individual web sites and also volunteer.gov is a good site. Good luck!

Full-Timers for 16+ Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2004 Jeep Liberty

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geocritter wrote:

With the added costs of the larger MH in campground fees, worse fuel mileage, and maybe being denied access to NP campground’s should I be looking at a 30’ MH?

The savings in fuel cost between a 25 ft. model and a 35 ft. model probably wouldn't buy you a cup of coffee after a 1,000 mile trip. Whether you're pushing a bill board down the highway or towing it against the wind the frontal area facing the wind makes more difference than the length of what your driving.

I also have not run across a campground that charges more rent for a longer RV. Not saying there's not any parks that charge by the foot just saying I've never seen one. I can't imagine getting "denied" but you will run across places where it's just impossible to get into but for every one you can't get into there's a thousand more that you can. Just call ahead and confirm before you go.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can find an older model in your price range that has at least one slide, I would seriously consider it (considering it is in good enough condition,etc). Just one slide give you so much more room and I think you'd enjoy it a lot more.

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Does size matter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS