|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> RVing Full time- what is a good home base

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
breng

AR

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering for you that have tried full timing in your RV- What is a good home base. I hate coming home after traveling 2-3 weeks just to get work done around the brick and morter home. We are thinking seriously about going full time to travel and see some things before we get too old to do this. Would love to hear from anyone that has tried this. Where is your home base and how do you like it?

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say "home base" do you mean your official address for banking, insurance, voting, etc? or do you mean a place that your return to from time to time?

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a workin' full timer, I have almost a year to go until full retirement. Working all over the east, I domicile in Florida because...
1. It's relatively favorable to full timers
2. I'm a Florida native and most of my immediate family lives there.

When in state, I'll often move from one area to the next visiting the kids, grand kids, and other relatives. There are numerous parks, from which to choose, within close proximity to each. I have close relatives with acreage in the north central area of the state, where I'm always welcome to sit for as long as I desire. Of course, electric/water & sewer aren't free and I'd have a serious compunction not to contribute. So, they accept and we're all happy.

Basically, home base is where I park it each night, wherever I am.

RVn Full-time

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our home base in FL. No state tax and reasonable tag fees (although they are going up). The down side is FL usually has higher insurance rates. Another down side to FL is that it's expensive in the winter and it's not centrally located to be able to travel to other states.
Lots of people use Escapees in Livingston TX. We lived in TX and loved it. Great state. Maybe some Escapees out there can tell you why.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We chose Florida. NO state income tax. NO vehicle inspections. NO annual tax on motorhome or cars (ad valorum)

When DH turns 65 we get half price at state parks.

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our official "home" is in South Dakota, our real home is where we park it. No state income tax, No vehicle inspections, No annual tax on vehicles, low taxes is I buy another motorhome, great mail service from My Dakota Address. Florida, Texas and South Dakota are the big three for fulltimers.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

We are Class of 2007 Escapees fulltimer's and traveled four four years before getting a home base. Being form the Great State of Texas we chose a home base at the Escapees in Livingston, TX. Escapees does have several Rainbow parks and also Co-ops that have home base and Co-op's properties around the country. I would suggest you travel some before deciding if and where to invest in a home base type property its my understanding some have a waiting list.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might to take a look at the Alternative Resources web site. They have some good info on SD and why it can be a good choice as a legal domicile.
HERE

That is who we use for our mail forwarding sevcice.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sdianel wrote:

We have our home base in FL. No state tax and reasonable tag fees (although they are going up). The down side is FL usually has higher insurance rates. Another down side to FL is that it's expensive in the winter and it's not centrally located to be able to travel to other states.
Lots of people use Escapees in Livingston TX. We lived in TX and loved it. Great state. Maybe some Escapees out there can tell you why.

Yes it's pricey across the board no matter what the CG looks like or offers..... AND I would come to find out they do NOT lower the CG rates in summer.

I "ASSUMED" the winter rates would be less and chose to stay without looking into it first. So here I sit in Florida in the blazing heat paying the high winter snowbird rates PLUS electric for the 24/7's running of the air cond.

Next summer I will travel above the Florida/Georgia border where they don't scalp you during the summer, and like you said it will be more geographically convenient to travel around a bit if I want.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> RVing Full time- what is a good home base
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS