|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Selling Personalized Gifts

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
maggie2

Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

My hubby and I are looking at starting to fulltime soon and we need to supplement our income. We are specifically looking at the possibility of selling personalized gifts at flea markets and swap meets as we are travelling around North America.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so if they found it successful.

If you have not done the personalized gifts, have you sold other items at flea markets and if so, could you share what sold well?

Thanks,
Marg

Marg & Fred Ruttan
27' 5th Wheel
Dodge Diesel Truck

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the owner of one of the largest markets in the Southwest. He jokes about how the only people who make money at the markets are his employees and himself. You really need a standout product or you might just find yourself in the hole after booth fees, commissions at some markets, travel and lodging expenses etc. Sitting out in 100 degree heat for days in a row to net a couple of hundred dollars is pretty hard work. It is one thing to visit one for four or five hours, totally another to put in 40 or 50 hours over 3 or 4 days. The nice thing is you can try it and see how it goes. You only need to commit to one market at a time. Also note that booth space usually goes by a seniority system. The newest vendors get the worst space. You usually also have to furnish all your display tables, racks, tents etc. Covered, indoor space at markets is more expensive than outdoor. Also, will you be able to take Credit cards or is it going to be cash only? Big difference in potential revenue between taking cards and cash only. Good luck if you try it.

tracyb-oh

Cincinnati,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have sold at a large local flea market for the last couple years. Mostly antiques and collectibles we were unloading from my MIL house. It is hard work. You have to get there before the crack of dawn to a good space or even any space at all. Then set up all your stuff, haggle with people all day long wanting to give you a dollar for something worth ten bucks, sit on an asphalt lot in 100 degree weather. It got so we kept seeing the same people shopping all the time so we quit hauling our stuff there to sell. Sold all her stuff at auction and was done with it. Now we sell at craft shows. I sew tote bags, book bags, walker bags and such. We make more money and the venues are much nicer. Last two weekends we went to a Christmas in July craft show at two different state parks. Camping + craft shows = a perfect weekend for us. Good luck in your adventure.

Tracy and T
Jayco 2001 Class C 3150J Designer
2007 Honda CRV
"The Girls" Honey and Crystal our dachshunds

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think being a workkamper or getting a part time job a few months a year would be easier than setting up, selling, taking down and having all that "stuff" in my RV. Maybe getting a job with a chain and then you are already trained if you move from store to store.

Western New Yorkers
One lazy Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what you mean by personalized,but you could set up a website and sell them. Sometimes just talking or even making the things in a campground generates sales. We have our plotter with us and it's surprising how many people see it and want decals/stickers made up.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Fish-a-Palooza

Lake Stevens WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about E-bay? Allows you to sell your items and never have to set up a booth or spend hours in the heat with people who want it for free. Lot's of fees, but a lot less leg work and although I'm not positive I would think the fees may be comparable to flea markets and craft shows.

Wayne & Karen

TT-2005 Komfort 27TSG
TV-2003 F250 Lariat Crew cab, 6.0L PS, FX4

Sidewheeler

orange co. calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several of our fulltimer friends started out making and selling at shows, but it was not long before they were looking for a better way.

Amazon was one way, work for a 60 day period, they pay for your camp fees,+ $10.00 min per hour, Long hours all standing on your feet, nightshifts and cold weather. Nov-Dec only Or if your a driver work the sugar beet harvest up in ND-SD-Minn, same kind of hours 24hrs operation but good money.

But the one couple that did it right would get a camp host position for the husband to cover the full hookup costs and the wife would get a job at one of the fast food places. they are happy to have a senior with good skills and always on time. She would work what ever hours they needed and they could go anywhere they wanted. some of these fast food places pay $10.00+ per hour.

maggie2

Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. I will really take a second look at our idea and maybe come up with something else.

Has anyone ever offered workshops or seminars on the road? If so, how did that work?

Thanks,
Marg

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~

Unless you are employed by, or represent a well-known product or company to put on the workshop or seminar - - IMO, bad plan.

~

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sidewheeler wrote:

Several of our fulltimer friends started out making and selling at shows, but it was not long before they were looking for a better way.

Amazon was one way, work for a 60 day period, they pay for your camp fees,+ $10.00 min per hour, Long hours all standing on your feet, nightshifts and cold weather. Nov-Dec only Or if your a driver work the sugar beet harvest up in ND-SD-Minn, same kind of hours 24hrs operation but good money.

Just to clarify a few things. Amazon Camperforce jobs start in September, last day of work is Dec 23. This will be my first season working for them.

You don't have to be a driver to work the sugar beet harvest. This is my second season in MN and I'm a piler operator. You could also work as a ground helper or bobcat operator, or (more rarely) scalehouse operator. Drivers work directly for the farmers.

Looks like you're Canadian citizens so not sure how that would affect your ability to work legally in the states. IIRC, there was a big flap last year at the sugar beet harvest because some of the rules had changed and they couldn't get Canadian tribal workers anymore.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Selling Personalized Gifts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts