|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel or TT - pros & cons

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
travelwithdogs

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new to RVing and have just begun shopping. We are having a tough time deciding between a TT or 5th Wheel. Please share why you love one over the other.

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, for a fifth wheel: towing is a dream, storage, coolness, built better as a general rule (my experience), separates bedroom from kids, larger bathroom, more headroom, did I say towing!
I've had 4 Tt's previously. I wouldn't go back to a TT. The only advantage to a TT in my opinion is that they cost less and you can tow with a lighter truck in most cases.
Steve

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs wet
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, CC, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Short bed, payload 3,900 lbs.

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5th wheel pulls better with less of your truck hunting and downshifting gears when on the freeway, especially on inclines. But takes up most or all of the truck bed leaving little room for storage. Also heavier than travel trailers and often necessitates a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup in order to pull it. Due to design and length of 5th wheel frames they often have more overall space inside and floorplans with more slides. Travel trailer is better for smaller, lighter applications for 2 people or small families. Many trailers can be pulled by a regular 1/2 ton pickup or SUV, some even by simply a V6 truck or SUV. Manufacturers are getting more creative with space though, so it's all according to your needs and desires for floorplan and space.

hammerdown

Park City, Ut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many pros & cons to both TT and Fifth-Wheels but ease and comfort of towing is not one. If a TT has a cheap hitch it is true they tow poorly at times but ask anyone who has towed a TT with a Hensley Hitch and a Fifth-Wheel and most agree the TT tows as good or better.

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Thread

Markiemark

travelwithdogs

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The TT we like is heavier (GVWR 10,970) than the 5th Wheel we are considering. Most are saying the 5th wheels are easier to tow. DH would prefer if we went with the lighter of the two as he is a bit worried about the wear n tear on his truck (03 F350 v10 4x4) in the Colorado Rockies.

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should just ask for differences then YOU determine if it is a pro or con.

Overall Height
Steps in/out
Steps inside to MB/bath area
Overall Length
Tow-ability
Floorplans available
Cost
Hitching/unhitching
Storage inside/outside
Vehicle requirements
Hitch requirements

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fivers do have a slight edge in towing. My TT tows almost as well with my Dodge 2500 with CTD and the Equalizer hitch as my previous fiver. It does take longer to hitch up with the TT than a fiver (5 minutes max). My 34' TT when attached is the same length as a 38-39 foot fiver, so the total length of the fiver and TV is less with a similar sized fiver. One big advantage for the TT is you get to use your truck bed. I can take my motorcycle (approx 500 lbs) or small 4 wheeler in my truck bed, since DW really does not like most toy haulers. A big advantage to the fiver in my opinion is the much higher ceilings. At 6'3", my TT ceiling is only 3" above my head. There are nice TT now, so fivers are not always nicer. They both have pros and cons. I suggest you go look at a good number of both types. Take a pen and pad and write down what YOU see as the pros and cons of each. People like different things and use their RVs in different ways. That is why there are so many types. Only you can judge what is important or not important to you. Have fun shopping and good luck.

Camper Mama Bear

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hitching up is so much easier with the 5er. you can see the hitch and you can be a bit off in the line-up but it will still hitch.
towing is also more comfortable.
the overall length. a 30 foot TT you are longer bumper to bumper then a 30 foot 5er.
the one thing I don't like about 5er is the walk-through bathrooms. there are a some layouts that do not have them.

Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

alsov

Colchester, VT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should check out replies on: Beginner/Towing 5th wheel for some more info

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel or TT - pros & cons
Search:   Advanced Search