|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck 5th wheel adapter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
brownmht

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings all!

I am brand new to the fifth wheel gig. I will be taking delivery of a 2008 F-350 with a gooseneck hitch in the bed. However, the trailer we are planning on buying isn't a gooseneck. In my search for 5th wheel hitches, I stumbled upon a universal hitch adapter.

My question simply is this a good idea? Is anyone else doing this?

The fiver we a looking at is a 29 foot Keystone Cougar. It's 11,500 GVRW. So the 24,000 the adapter is advertised at is more than strong enough.

My initial feeling is "skeptical optimism". However, before talking to a saleman and having no experience with these things, I ask your opinion.

josten367

Columbia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we have discussed this before quite a bit and it just depends on what you want to do. I had the same question and I went with a B&W Companion hitch. It slides right into where your gooseneck ball is and put a fifth wheel hitch in two pieces.

B&W Companion

Here is one of the posting like your question:

Gooseneck Hitch

2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with Keystone and inquire if 5th wheel pin box frame structure warranty would become VOID if a gooseneck adapter is used.......

That will let you make an informed decision on whether or not you want to use one, whether the trailer is new or used.
If using one would VOID the frame warranty............hummmmmmmm

B&W makes a great companion hitch that utilizes a gooseneck ball in bed of truck.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

ibycus

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a buddy who has a bunch of goosneck horse trailers and did just what you're looking at.. he's never had any issues, though I recall him saying that the dealers in the area recommended against it...

personally, if companies are selling the adaptors, I can't imagine they aren't safe as long as you don't go crazy.. the liability would be insane for them...

also... keep in mind that goosenecks, just like any ball mount type hitch isn't as strong as a 5th wheel..

bottom line.. if you don't have a need for the gooseneck ball, I'd get rid of it and go for the 5th wheel... it's definitely better.

2013 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel
2007 Puma 28BHS
Superglide 4400

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some manufacturers state that using a gooseneck adapter will void their warranty. It does put different stresses on the frame. But a lot of people use them with no problem.
If it is a newer trailer with the frame still under warranty, I would make sure to check first.

glazier

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull both gooseneck and fifth wheel trailers. Gooseneck hitches are definitely as strong, or stronger than a RV Fifth Wheel hitch. I just can't understand why anyone would want the hassle of hooking up to a ball in their bed, if the can use a Fifth Wheel. To each their own.

2014 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS XPS Ribs
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&W Companion you won't regret it!

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

Jheni000

West Fork, AR.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B & W Companion hitch is your best choice. Easy to mount and dismount and no problems with warranties. Is your gooseneck a B & W?.

Jim & Trisha Henington
Fleetwood TT 26 ft w/superslide
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 4/4

brownmht

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank to everyone for responding. I have to look at the current hitch. I have not taken delivery of the truck yet so, I can't say with 100% certainty it's a B&W.

The trailer is a 2007 I am buying from the origional owner. So warranty voiding is not a concern. Trashing my first fifth wheel is a huge concern though. But from what I am reading, I feel better I am not going to lose my trailer somewhere along a dark deserted highway.

Thanks again all! I can't wait to post some pictures!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brownmht wrote:

Thank to everyone for responding. I have to look at the current hitch. I have not taken delivery of the truck yet so, I can't say with 100% certainty it's a B&W.

The trailer is a 2007 I am buying from the origional owner. So warranty voiding is not a concern. Trashing my first fifth wheel is a huge concern though. But from what I am reading, I feel better I am not going to lose my trailer somewhere along a dark deserted highway.

Thanks again all! I can't wait to post some pictures!

What people were saying was, if the mfr =would have= voided the warranty in 2007/8, that's a clue that the frame might not stand up to have a GN adapter installed. I can go either way with my B&W setup, and I don't think I'd have a problem with my pre-Lippert Zieman frame, but the ease of using a FW instead of a GN hitch really sells it.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck 5th wheel adapter