RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Toy Hauler for wheelchair accessible entrance???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Toy Hauler for wheelchair accessible entrance???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rodnegg

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at buying a toy hauler so our son who is in a wheelchair can get in the camper. I am wondering about the side ramp toy haulers? What do you all with toy haulers think, is any of this feasible. We currently have a travel trailer but have not used it in a while since he is no longer able to get inside it.

Thanks for any input.
Carol

~Carol

Red,

Southwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic solution . . .

Red, *<(:{)-

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are pretty steep for most side loads, however I can see one being modified too. The Outback has a side load that maybe lower then some other units, it's called the Kargaroo, but my concern there is the halls are pretty narrow.

* This post was edited 08/05/12 11:01pm by Y-Guy *

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

karlba

crockett,tx

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our 297se while not a side ramp does have a 36in door from the garage, as stated above one issue will be access once inside, look for a unit with a rear toilet as getting up into a fron one is prob going to be difficult.

allcool

sFL_Glamis_PHX

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend that is a paraplegic. He comes out to Glamis with us many times a season. He rides/owns a Polaris quad and a small 2 seater sand car, and has a 28' TH.

His toy hauler has a 12v electric elevator ramp on the regularly normal side door. I think the side door was modified because it is wider than normal.It all folds up inside when he's done and loaded up. We usually put out sheets of plywood once he's out in his wheel chair so he can get around camp in the sand. His pick up truck also has a cherry picker hoist type thing that he uses to get his wheel chair in the bed.

His quad is set up with ski binding type things and ski boots. He doesn't buckle down the boots, just slips in them and leaves them open just to locate his feet since he can't move his legs at all. Its a cvt so no foot work is needed. He keeps right up to us, and we fly thru the dunes.
His sandcar is set up with all hand controls. He keeps right up to us, and we fly thru the dunes.

He won't even let us help him more or less with anything. He's very independent and capable.
Where there is a will, there is a way...

Let me know if you want to talk to him about his TH elevator ramp setup, and I'll see if he will let me give you his number...

2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid

r1Mk

Modesto

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dune sport will custom build one. They did for a friend of mine. The bathroom and bedroom are also an issue on normal TH's.

'06 GMC Duramax 4X4 w/ lots of $ in it, but who cares.
'12 Fuzion 302
Winter 3 sleds
Summer Quads for the wife and kids

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check the angle of the ramp. We had the same thought for our live-in mother-in-law.

When I did a test with her powered wheel chair, I found it could not negotiate the ramp; it was too steep. I am sure I could figure out something but its not going to work by merely lowering the ramp.

Some THs are much closer to the ground so the angle on their ramps are not as steep. There are ways to make it work and no doubt a TH with a garage would be a plus...

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 37 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe block up the door ramp to a decent angle,and use those wider loading ramps like the ones to load stuff in a pick up.You could pin it to the door so they don't slip.Cover it with wood and if needed I would think you could devise a removable handrail.
Good luck.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Rodnegg

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions!

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've looked at toyhaulers at dealers and the slope is much too steep to be safe. You might do better buying a used RV that has been converted to make it accessible. Try looking here - http://www.rvproperty.com/handicap_rv_sales_1.htm

If you want to buy new Winnebago will modify to suit your needs - http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/commercial/ability/

So will Born Free - http://dodgenmobiletech.com/mobility-rvs

Newmar makes one too - http://www.newmarcorp.com/news/newmar_desiagns_wheelchair

We've been fulltiming for about 19 years , most of the time I've been in a wheelchair. Check our blog for more information about my experiences living , camping and sightseeing as a wheelchair RVer. Good luck with your search!

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Toy Hauler for wheelchair accessible entrance???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS