|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Sharing Scale Numbers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 03:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see what you are saying. I attribute the disagreement in theoretical spring rates to measurement error. I was using a tape measure and measuring to the rounded edge of a curved piece of plastic fender trim. I would say my observed measurements were only accurate to +/- 1/8" at best. They are not precise, but in the absence of accurate scale data, (and with more careful measurement) I'm confident that the measurements would get someone in the ballpark. Though they are Las than accurate, the measurements do follow the expected trend as validated by the weights.

aftershockrob

Magic Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gijoecam wrote:

I measured the wheel well heights on a section of flat level ground. Here are the numbers I saw as measured at the wheel well:

Condition 1: Connected, WDH bars engaged
Front: 41.25
Rear: 39.25

Condition 2: Connected, WDH bars disengaged
Front: 41.75
Rear: 39

Condition 3: Hitch disconnected
Front: 41.5
Rear: 40.375

So, with the bars connected, I returned the front height to about where it was when unhooked, and the rear was between the connected and disconnected heights with the bars engaged. So, I knew I was in the ballpark.

So I dragged it over to the local Pilot station with a CAT scale. Here are the numbers I got:

First Pass
Conditions: WDH connected (and set based on suspension measurements).
Steer Axle: 4340lbs
Drive Axle: 4280lbs
Trailer Axle: 5560lbs
Gross Weight: 14180lbs

Second Pass
Conditions: WDH bars disconnected and stored at the very rear of the bed.
Steer Axle: 3980
Drive Axle: 4820
Trailer Axle: 5380
Gross Weight: 14180

Third pass
Conditions: Truck (as-loaded) by itself.
Steer Axle: 4300
Drive Axle: 3720
Trailer Axle: 00
Gross Weight: 8020

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A three-pass weighing trip will provide accurate measurements from which we can calculate the tongue weight. The increased angle will not significantly affect the tongue weight reading.

Pass 1) With trailer and WDH bars engaged.
Pass 2) With Trailer, NO WDH bars.
Pass 3) Truck alone

Once you have the three sets of weights, post the numbers (in a new thread) and we'll be happy to help you decipher them if you need it.

aftershockrob

Magic Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much.
I will be back on tomorrow.

You guys Rock, Finally I can get some real answers from some people who know what they are talking about.
Again Thank you.

aftershockrob

Magic Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftershockrob wrote:

gijoecam wrote:

I measured the wheel well heights on a section of flat level ground. Here are the numbers I saw as measured at the wheel well:

Condition 1: Connected, WDH bars engaged
Front: 41.25
Rear: 39.25

Condition 2: Connected, WDH bars disengaged
Front: 41.75
Rear: 39

Condition 3: Hitch disconnected
Front: 41.5
Rear: 40.375

So, with the bars connected, I returned the front height to about where it was when unhooked, and the rear was between the connected and disconnected heights with the bars engaged. So, I knew I was in the ballpark.

So I dragged it over to the local Pilot station with a CAT scale. Here are the numbers I got:

First Pass
Conditions: WDH connected (and set based on suspension measurements).
Steer Axle: 4340lbs
Drive Axle: 4280lbs
Trailer Axle: 5560lbs
Gross Weight: 14180lbs

Second Pass
Conditions: WDH bars disconnected and stored at the very rear of the bed.
Steer Axle: 3980
Drive Axle: 4820
Trailer Axle: 5380
Gross Weight: 14180

Third pass
Conditions: Truck (as-loaded) by itself.
Steer Axle: 4300
Drive Axle: 3720
Trailer Axle: 00
Gross Weight: 8020

OOPS, LOL Kinda new to this blogging post stuff.
I been following GIJoe, Ron and a few others on another post with WDH and how they work versus TW and such.
My Question is Do i have my WDH Set in Correct?
The truck drives fine but i cant seem to get the measurments to sink (lower) in the front.
And when i took it to the CAT Scale yesterday i was about 140 lighter in the front with trailer and WDH on then the empty truck.
Empty Truck:
Front Axle: 2940
Rear Axle: 2500

With Trailer and WDH
Front Axle: 2840
Rear Axle: 3540
Trailer Axle: 8180

I was told by some people That those weights are fine and it is working just fine, that if the WDH Was not on i would be much much lighter in the front. I understand that this is true, however i believe i should have more weight in the front with the trailer and WDH then when the truck is alone uncoupled. am i correct in this or is the lighter in the front ok?

The mearsurements lift about 1/2" in the front and settle about 1 1/4 in the rear. I have the WDH Maxed as far as links (tightened).
I'm Thinking i might need bigger Bars and perhaps a higher riser.

aftershockrob

Magic Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also I am within the limits of all axle wieghts and payloads for the TV. how ever i am at the higher limits of it.
As of rite now i do not have a tognue weight of the trailer.
I want to find a Tougnue weight scale to maesure this. if i undo the bars and go across the scales i dont think it will be accurate cause when coupled up the TV sinks in the rear about 3" this sinking in the front of the trailer will throw more weaight to the "Tougue"
When i am hooked up my Trailer is almost level, a very slight pitch towrds the front, with this 3" drop with out the WDH to get Toungue weaight it will be in accrate, so i wish to get a scale and measure the weight of the trailer more level like how it is when i am hooked up with the WDH Attached.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to Open Roads Forum. Thanks for sharing your numbers with us.

In addition to what Joe said -- it would help us provide meaningful comments if we knew:

Tow Vehicle - make, model, wheelbase, GVWR, rear GAWR, and receiver Maximum Tongue Weight rating.

Weight Distribution Hitch - make and WD bar rating.

Trailer - make and model, GVWR.

Your numbers indicate the trailer weighs 8990#. The tongue weight might be in the range of 1075-1250#.

Depending on TV wheelbase and ball overhang, the load removed from the front axle, with trailer attached and no WD applied, might be in the range of 430-560#.
Your numbers indicate all but 100# of the removed load was restored to the front axle via load distribution.

Therefore, you probably have sufficient load transfer to the front axle. More scales data will confirm that.

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Sharing Scale Numbers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS