|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Women driving motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
more free time

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, Im new to owning a motorhome but have always enjoyed camping with my kids. This year i decided, after lots of thinking, it was time to take the plunge so in May I purchased a 2003 Coachmen Mirada from Campingworld . I have since camped in it several times at Bandits Roost on Kerr Scott lake in Wilkesboro NC and i just recently took a trip to Pigeon Forge and stayed at Twin Mountain cg. We had the best time ever! I was just wondering if there were any other women out there who ownes and drives their own motorhome while their husband sits at home.. Yes thats right... He hates camping so I drive this 34' ft and back it into sites all by myself. I have always pulled a TT and I find that a motorhome is a lot easier to drive than i thought. Anyone have any tips they would like to share that might make camping a little easier for a 40yr old women and her 2 kids?

nano

Upper Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a motorhome, but have a 29' travel trailer that I tow and setup by myself. My husband also loves camping, but doesn't like towing the trailer. Fortunately, I enjoy it, and like to get the trailer parked and setup, so it works out well. We camp close to home, so I head out earlier in the afternoon and by the time my husband gets done with work, everything is setup and ready to go. I get a kick out of the older gentlemen who will drive by and tell me I'm doing a good job. lol

2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

nano

Upper Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should correct myself since I don't do everything all by myself. I have a 10 year old son who helps, too. He likes getting things setup and organized, too. It won't be long before I can sit back with a beer and let him handle everything. lol (Although I won't let him mess with the weight distribution.)

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see a lot of women driving MH's but have seen them do TT's. My DW's cousin died some years ago and his widow tows her 5th wheel around. She is in her late 70's.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you!!! Enjoy your motorhome. My wife and I share the driving in ours.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to drive a 40' bus, so haven't hesitated to drive any of our RVs.
- The motorhome was an easy transition.
- The fifth wheel took a bit of practise to get the backing up accurate.
- The boat trailer was easier than the fifth wheel for me.

DH loves to camp, but sometimes I just want to do my own thing with only me to take care of so head off on my own.

And sometimes he heads off on his own to fish.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sister-in-law and I drove a 28' Winnebago Brave for years before my DH and I bought our current Class A. She and I both drove it with no problems. We now have a 33' Class A. I have driven it, although I don't have to much anymore as we (my DH and I) now full time! He finally got the bug!! I wouldn't hesitate to go on my own. In our travels we have met a few women driving motorhomes. Good for them!!

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete

* This post was edited 03/10/13 10:24pm by path1 *

1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.
2013 Arctic Fox Trailer, new to us, no opinion yet

Prpl Lady

At my computer

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 12:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in mid-60's and retired. DH is younger and still in the work force. I do not hesitate to take my 32' class C on solo 4000 to 5000 mile round trips to see my sons. There are several precautions that I practice. I make sure to get to my overnight stop well before it gets dark. I avoid any areas or situations that seem even slightly dangerous or unsafe. I keep the coach side door locked most of the time, especially if I am on the driver's side fueling... I sure don't want to end up with an uninvited 'guest'. There are other precautions that I practice, but those are the main ones. Remember -- safety first!!

2009 31F Four Winds Dutchmen E-450

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 12:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nano wrote:

I should correct myself since I don't do everything all by myself. I have a 10 year old son who helps, too. He likes getting things setup and organized, too. It won't be long before I can sit back with a beer and let him handle everything. lol (Although I won't let him mess with the weight distribution.)

Don't wait too long, time flies. Soon enough him and some friends will be kicking back with beers, wondering why Mom hasn't brought out the pizza yet.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Women driving motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing