|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Double towing/lights on second trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
campgrl

Corunna, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the hitch on the fifth wheel. Ran into a bit of a snaf-foo though. The hitch place could not wire the harness on the rear of the fifth wheel. Could not access the wiring. I need to take it into the rv dealership so they can fish the wire through. Problem: they won't be able to do this before our trip on Sat. Does anyone know the Michigan statute regarding trailer lights? I found vehicle code on towing doubles but no where does it say anything about lights. As long as the drivers behind us can see the rv lights are we good? We won't be driving at night. Thanks!

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot give you Michigan's law but in Colorado (and I bet most if not all states) if it is on the highway it better have lights. Why would you want to bring attention to yourself on your first double tow?

AKsnowcampers

Willow,Alaska,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I put my wireing for pulling with my 5th I ran wires under the trailer to the J-box at the front it was the easiest way for me &
the wire was not very pricey
Ken

04 Dodge 3500 2wd dually
02 travelaire 5th-wheel
01 Dodge 3500 4wd dually
01 Bigfoot 2500 10.6 TC
Yamaha rhino 700

xPIXx

MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could just wire off of the tail lights from inside the lens and run the wires out the bottom of the lens until you got back and have time to wire it right.

avvidclif1

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campgrl wrote:

Got the hitch on the fifth wheel. Ran into a bit of a snaf-foo though. The hitch place could not wire the harness on the rear of the fifth wheel. Could not access the wiring. I need to take it into the rv dealership so they can fish the wire through. Problem: they won't be able to do this before our trip on Sat. Does anyone know the Michigan statute regarding trailer lights? I found vehicle code on towing doubles but no where does it say anything about lights. As long as the drivers behind us can see the rv lights are we good? We won't be driving at night. Thanks!

Go to U-Haul and buy 2 of the bulbs with pigtails on them. Put them in place of your rv trailer bulbs and wire up the back trailer lights. Quick temporary fix anyway.

Clif & Millie
Ozzie half a dog tall and 2 dogs long
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2013 Crossroads Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the trailer you are towing have brakes? If so you may want to run a separate brake control in the TV so that would require a second wiring harness all the way to the second trailer.
I would run all the wiring under the trailer and tie into the junction box on the front. This will make the connection easy, troubleshooting easy, and not add extra load to the existing wires inside your FW's walls.
Don't tow without lights. That's just asking for trouble.

campgrl

Corunna, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailer we are towing as the double does not have brakes. It is a bass boat and weighs 1500 lbs max. The problem with wiring under the trailer is that the fifth wheel has an enclosed underbelly.

bluck

Silver City, NM 88061 USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run it under the trailer in conduitt. Secure it where the cross members are. You should be able to see the screw heads holding up underbelly.

2004 Chevy.
Duramax-Allison
2004 Thor Mirage
Kawasaki Prarie 700

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campgrl wrote:

The trailer we are towing as the double does not have brakes. It is a bass boat and weighs 1500 lbs max. The problem with wiring under the trailer is that the fifth wheel has an enclosed underbelly.

Best check your state laws. In some states the second trailer is required to have brakes regardless of weight. Plus, in some states, the driver must be able to control the brakes on the second trailer!

As for the lights, again check the laws in YOUR state. Some states require lights or reflectors or red flags on any load that extends beyond 2 or 4 feet from the existing lights.
I agree, the quickest fix to hold you over until you can do it right is the light bulbs from U-Haul that have the pigtails on them.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

pbar34

Altadena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AKsnowcampers wrote:

when I put my wireing for pulling with my 5th I ran wires under the trailer to the J-box at the front it was the easiest way for me &
the wire was not very pricey
Ken

X2. I just put a female 5 way on the back of the 5ver, attached to the hitch, ran about 30' of trailer wire under the belly of the 5ver to another female 5 way. You'll have to make a short extension to plug into the front of your 5ver to the truck hitch trailer receptacle. Takes a bit of time but pretty simple. You would need some wire hangers that will let you use the underbelly screw mounts to hang the cable from.

Phil

2005 Cougar 275EFS
2007 Chevy CC, D/A LBZ

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Double towing/lights on second trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts