|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> HiWay 12 Washington State

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone tell me about US 12 going across Washington state?
Towing a 35 ft 5th wheel trailer.Campground,RV park information.Good road,bad road??
Will be in WA toward the end of August.
Thanks in advance
Ed

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a slow go, but beautiful drive in the Mt Rainier area. The grades aren't bad thru White Pass, (4500') there should be a bunch of camp grounds in the National forest near Rim Rock or Naches, they will be no hookup camps, and a pay as you go $7-10 bucks per night.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

uS 12 through the Cascades is good. East side gets a little twisty but no big deal. Continue east on 12 all the way through Washington and into Idahoand Montana. Through Idaho has nice scenery up the canyons It has many turns but lots of pull offs.
US 12 is alot better then running down the interstate.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

US 12 is alot better then running down the interstate.

Doesn't US12 run with I82 for a ways?

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My usual route across the Cascades, whether in my current rig or bigger ones we've had. Last summer there were some long delays for road work but I'm planning on going that way next week and hope they've got that out of their system.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US-12 begins in Aberdeen on Grays Harbor near the ocean and continues to Clarkston on the ID border. It crosses the Cascades at White Pass next to Mt. Rainier, likely one one of the most scenic spots in the state.

In Yakima it basically merges with four lane I-82 for the entire length of the Yakima Valley all the way to the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco). Some cute little towns in the Valley (e.g. Toppenish murals), especially if you've never to been to Mexico.

E. of Pasco US-12 becomes a scenic 2 lane tour of S.E. WA farm/wine country through Walla Walla and all the small towns on the way to Clarkson. Clarkson/Lewiston is the Gateway to Hells Canyon.

* This post was edited 08/07/12 11:54am by an administrator/moderator *

2003 Ford 150 Supercrew, 4x4, 5.4L, 3.73 rear
2005 27' Trail Bay with pop-out

GO COUGS !

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yers, Yakima to pasco, US 12 and I-82 are the same.

Bigdog

silverdale wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually US-12 starts at 101 in Aberdeen and runs all the way to Detroit.How's that for being a S/A.
It all depends which way you're going on it.The two major climbs on it westbound are just west of Clarkston and the long one heading over White Pass and the steepest part of that is just before the pass. Coming from the west,I believe the major ones are the relatively short,5 miles or so,heading up into White Pass and then heading up towards Lolo Pass in Idaho.
The only problem I would see with that route is that if you're a wine drinker,you're going to be traveling thru the Columbia Valley,the home of some of the best wines in the U.S.You'll want to spend some time in Walla Walla,home of Walla Walla sweet onions and some REALLY good red wines,and then at Wine Country RV park in Prosser,where you can walk to seven very good winery tasting rooms.

GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US12 is also a good route if you are a Lewis and Clark buff. It passes through Lewiston ID, and Clarkston, WA

Across Idaho their route took them along the ridge to the north of US12 (which mostly stays in the river valley). In Washington they took the Snake River west bound, and followed the smaller river valley(s) that US12 follows east bound. There are several COE campgrounds along the reservoirs of the Snake River.

There are only a couple of spots on US12 where you can see Mt Rainier (one is in Packwood). But you can easily take a side trip from US12 to see more of the national park. It also gives access to the east side of Mt Saint Helens. I don't recall if there are views of Mt Adams from the Yakima valley.

As pre-interstate federal highways go, the Washington part of US12 is a late comer. Parts of it used to be US410, of which only WA410 remains to the north of US12. If you are up for it, WA23 and WA410 are an even more scenic way across the Cascades near Mt Rainier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_12_in_Washington

restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies.We are looking forward to the trip.Any suggestions on campgrounds,RV parks along the way?
We will be towing a 35' fiver with a Dodge 3500 CTD.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> HiWay 12 Washington State
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS