|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power Converter issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
thesaads

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Holiday Rambler Arista 34SBD. While on holidays in Florida my Converter literally blew up and took out the DVD player at the same time. I had both replaced and all worked well until we turned the TV on to watch a DVD. There were lines running through the TV. We returned the DVD and bought a higher end one thinking this might help same problem. When we watch TV alone it is clear as a bell but with the DVD lines run through it. So I turned the breaker off that controls the Converter/GFI plugs and the lines went away when I turn the breaker back on the lines come back. Any Advice?

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your GFI outlets. You can run a extension cord and further check which circuit is causing the issue. GFI outlet can be very picky.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect you mean to say the inverter which takes in 12VDC to make 120VAC while a converter changes 120VAC to 12VDC. Common mistake.

Suspect your problem is your DVD player doesn't like the flavor of power the inverter is producing particularly if it is a modified sine wave type rather than a true or pure sine wave type. Also inverters make a lot of RF noise from the oscillators. If the unit is place in close proximity (couple of feet) to radios, TVs or other such devices you can have problems.

If you have shore power or generator power available try using an extension cord to power the DVD from an outlet you know isn't being powered by the inverter just to be sure. If the image is clean you may need to either try a different model DVD player, try a different invertor or get a true sine wave inverter. Big difference in price between a modified and true type units, could be more than double in price.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

thesaads

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, I do mean the Converter. When I turnt he circut breaker off that controls the Converter/GFI plug the problem goes away. It is located far from the the DVD player. I have tried several different outlets for the DVD with the same result. Should I replace the GFI plug locatd in the bathroom with the test switch on it? It works fine by the way.

goofyguy

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thesaads wrote:

No, I do mean the Converter. When I turnt he circut breaker off that controls the Converter/GFI plug the problem goes away. It is located far from the the DVD player. I have tried several different outlets for the DVD with the same result. Should I replace the GFI plug locatd in the bathroom with the test switch on it? It works fine by the way.

so I assume your on shorepower then? Have you tryed a non GFI outlet for power source

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well so much for my theory. Can't see how a blown converter would take out a DVD play since the convertor doesn't power the DVD. I guess you must have taken a power hit that effected all three. GFI outlets can be a fickle item and are easy enough to replace.

Any way you can remove powerto either one individually just to eliminate one or the other? Some converters plug into an outlet on the back of the breaker panel rather than being hard wired.

thesaads

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I realize that the DVD power outlet and the converter have nothing to do with each other. It might have been a coincidence that they blew at the same time. My problem remains though, When the converter is running and we start a movie on the DVD player there are lines running through the TV. When we run the TV alone it is perfectly clear. I have tried plugging the DVD into every outlet and the result is the same. I have even run an extension cord from my house and plugged the DVD in with no better result. The only way to make the lines go away is to turn the breaker that controls the Converter/GFI plugs off. Any help with this is appreciated.

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the converter.... again.

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dup......

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What converter do you have (I wish to AVOID that model)

Consider a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series as a replacement.

When I tell folks about converters I normally cite two make/models.
The first is the no longer made Magnetek 6300, I recommend they upgrade if they have that one.

The second is the Progressive Dynamics 9200.. I do not believe you can upgrade if you have that one.. It just don't get better than that.

On the noise front: I'm a ham radio operator, My Very senistive ham radio can not detect any change in noise level if I turn off the Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard in my coach. It also fails to notice the Xantrex Prosine True sine wave inverter. (or it's converter section if I choose to use it).

It will notice some of my neighbors though. BIG TIME.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power Converter issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: