RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What options would you buy (or not buy) again?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What options would you buy (or not buy) again?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
georgej

Canby, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15k ac/heatpump and independently adjustable front landing legs have proven very useful over the years

jdjimenez

El Segundo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for taking the time to give your suggestions. We will be full-timing when we buy our 5th wheel but currently live in my in-laws 27' Arctic Fox trailer for 7 weeks during the Del Mar race meet. It has given us a few ideas about what to look for when we do buy our rig.

Ultimately we hope to purchase a 34-37' 5th wheel and pull it with a one ton dually. My in-laws full-timed for about 15 years and virtually covered the entire US, Canada and Alaska and had the time of their lives.

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydraulic disk brake,level-up, over 3 slide-out,17.5 rims.

2011 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,Breaksmart controller(not install I use Ford controler ),Equa-Flex.6 points LIPPERD Level-up.

rjf7g

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure if you pay extra for a sleeper sofa you can actually use it! On our Gulf Stream trailer, the sleeper sofa is not a viable option because the door to the front bedroom won't open all the way or has to be open all the way and the people in the front bedroom have to crawl over the sleeper bed.

2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

northmeck0255 wrote:

I was honestly surprised at how handy the electric fireplace has been. It saves you a ton of propane.

Also, just due to how we use our RV, the generator was a must-have.

I'd love hydraulic leveling next time around.

This isn't an option per se, just something I bought and that is an electric heater with a fan blower. It has saved me a bundle on gas too. It heats up the TT so nicely and electric is already included on my site, so I have not used propane for heat in over four years. I would imagine I am getting the similar benefit as the electric fireplace.

What I would rather have in lieu of the fireplace is a better entertainment system (the wall unit type) with a nice and fairly large flat screen and nice stereo system. My TT could have been configured to have a very nice one on the wall where I instead have two recliners (they are oddly placed so when you recline, no one can walk around you so they are not very useful). i would have preferred to have the ent system there and no dinette, just two recliners in the dinette's place. I don't know if this floorplan exists, but that is what I want next time and is my perfect set up. And a small table that retracts from the wall in between the two recliners when needed. It is jsut the two of us so that is all the seating we need. When son or G-daughter come I can add a chair. No since having these thigns all the time when not needed but only a couple times per year.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water-Bug wrote:

northmeck0255 wrote:

I was honestly surprised at how handy the electric fireplace has been. It saves you a ton of propane.

It probably does, but an electric space heater does the same thing for about $19.95 and it can be moved around as needed.

Ditto. Exactly what I was trying to say above. I like that it doesn't take up much space and I can move it around.

Sooner Schooner

On a Roll

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full body paint job, no more decals.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to have a king size bed and I think 2 A/C's are necessary. If the 2nd one isn't needed that's ok, but you'll be glad it's there when you do! An exhaust fan(fantastic fan type) is a good addition, too. DH would like a pass through basement (side to side). I think if we had small children with us all the time, the bunkhouse models would be nice although I don't like the living room space in them. And yes be sure you can get to the fridge, bathroom & beds with slides in. We can even sit at our dining table to eat a sandwich while on the road, but some units you can't. Although in that case you could stop at some place with a picnic table if you can at least have access to the fridge.

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LostinAZ wrote:

JayWalker2009 wrote:

LostinAZ wrote:

We would not buy any option again. Our unit has had so many major failures we will not ever buy another 5th wheel or RV of any kind.

It is very helpful in the RV world to be able to do some repairs on your own. If I had to rely on bringing my unit in for service , I'd probably give up too.

If you are relying on taking a unit in for warranty work or if out of warranty in for service each time I would imagine it probably is too much of a headache to own an RV.

This might not be everyone's answer or take on it, but for me if I wasn't doing most of the work myself I'd have already pulled my hair out.

I think you would be wise to first understand what has transpired before you start diminishing the owners repair capability. RV.net won't allow me to list the problems we have had or the make and model. And I can assure you I have had to repair a significant amount of problems myself. I find your condescending attitude objectionable.

I think you should read posts more carefully. I said "IF" you are relying on taking it in for service. I stand by every word I said. If someone doesn't do a lot of the repairs, they probably would want to give up. If this does not describe you, not sure why you are so defensive.

And I can't see the stance of having one bad unit sour one from ever buying again, but that doesn't make a diff to me. Means more space at the CG"s if all who have difficulty with one unit go this route.

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only think I can think of is a W/D combo.

Don't need it now but when we get closer to traveling for 6 months or maybe full timing we are 'plumbed' and can add.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What options would you buy (or not buy) again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS