RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Lube for the exterior doors?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lube for the exterior doors?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Camp I am

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What type of lube is everyone using on the hinges of the outside doors? Specifically the main entrance door, that one seems to always develop a squeak. I've tried a few light oils, WD-40, Tri-Flow, Gun oil, etc., and graphite as well. They all work for a few weeks then tend to attract dirt or wash out from the rain, and the squeaking quickly returns. I've been thinking of wiping some white lithium grease into the hinges but before I do I thought I'd ask everyone else. Anyone find a good lube to keep the door hinges quiet for a good long time?

Sahm I am's Husband

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison

Keystone Cougar 327RES

Curt Q5 20K / Prodigy Brake Control / Rotochocks / Trail Air

Rallies attended: ""

Sleepovers 3

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to all my info, WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, but a Water Displacement hence the WD prefix. Any of the others will work OK, but it a continuing thing due to weather. Not a whole lot of a "permanent fix" out there unless you can find some way of coating the hinge bothparts with teflon and that will also eventually wear off. Five minute job at most every few weeks.JMHO

charles weidman

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:

According to all my info, WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, but a Water Displacement hence the WD prefix. Any of the others will work OK, but it a continuing thing due to weather. Not a whole lot of a "permanent fix" out there unless you can find some way of coating the hinge bothparts with teflon and that will also eventually wear off. Five minute job at most every few weeks.JMHO

Need to read the label on a WD-40 can. It is a light lubricant.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ONLY thing I will use on my cars and RV's is 'Pure' Silicone Spray found at Do-it-Best Hardware. You have to read the label I have found only this one brand of silicone to not have other ingredients in it.

It has been my nasty experience NOT to use any thing that contains graphite on hinges or locks, which all most ALL the other lub sprays have in it.

I left in the middle of winter to head south and found all my bay door locks were frozen the morning I needed to pack and leave. I sprayed every single lock with a lock spray and for good measure did the doors also. It did thaw the locks for me to open the bays.

BUT.......after driving for 6 six hours and I pulled into a rest area and when I got out all I saw were huge black streaks ALL over the entire side of my MH from the bottom all the way to the top.

Dang graphite.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jbarry

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slick 50. Great stuff and doesn't attract dust...had a terrible issue with door squeak and tried several different lubricants. Finally talked to an old fella at Ace Hardware and he recommended Slick 50. Sprayed it on the door parts about 6 months ago and haven't heard a squeak since.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't found a permanent solution either and use a teflon based dry spray lube on exterior hinges and stabilizing jacks, and re-apply as needed. I guess we're lucky as we have not experienced the squeaky exterior door issue as of yet although our rig is exposed to the elements year round. Hopefully someone here can offer a solution.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious that jbarry recommended Slick 50. I've heard good and bad about it, so thought I'd do a little research, which found "the basic ingredient is the same in most of these additives: 50 weight engine oil with standard additives. The magic ingredient in Slick 50, Liquid Ring, Matrix, QM1 and T-Plus from K-Mart is Polytetrafluoroethylene. Don't try to pronounce it: call it PTFE. But don't call it Teflon, which is what it is, because that is a registered trademark. Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that 'Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines.'"

On the other hand, both 50 weight motor oil and PTFE WOULD resist washing away in this application, so THIS might be just the use for the stuff.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dri-Slide. Colloidal molybdenum disulphide aerosol. Introduced in Vietnam for use with the M16. You can sorta figure out for yourself the degree of importance, for lubricity and non-attraction of grit and grime.

This stuff isn't cheap. But I frustrate easily, and don't like to have to do things over-and-over-and-over-and...

MPD56

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another product I use called Jig-a-loo, a professional window installer told me about this stuff a few years ago and I have used it on stiff and squeaky windows and patio doors since. It seems to last longer then others that I’ve tried and it doesn’t stain or collect dust and it is clear so you don’t see it. The Drislide is interesting though, but the Jig-a-loo is a lot cheaper?

Also road salt doesn’t stick to it and one of the uses it says is to spray a snow shovel and I have. I now spray my snow shovels once at the start of every season. If you have never shovelled snow with a warm shovel, then you will know what I’m taking about LOL.

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php

* This post was edited 08/08/12 11:26am by MPD56 *

Camp I am

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mexbungalows wrote:

Dri-Slide. Colloidal molybdenum disulphide aerosol. Introduced in Vietnam for use with the M16. You can sorta figure out for yourself the degree of importance, for lubricity and non-attraction of grit and grime.

This stuff isn't cheap. But I frustrate easily, and don't like to have to do things over-and-over-and-over-and...

Interesting. This is something I havnt seen before and will see if I can find a place to get some to try. Thanks. Dri-Slide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lube for the exterior doors?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS