|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 3/4 Ton GM Fifth Wheel Towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kordog

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I am in the process of buying a new TV. I was going to buy a Dually and have it as a tow only truck, but having 3 trucks is kinda silly for me. I have a 2009 Silverado 1500, and my wife has a 2011 Yukon XL Denali. So I was going to trade my truck for a 3/4 ton D/A Denali or Sierra/Silverado. We plan on buying a Fuzion 315 sometime in the next year or two. Now without the weight police please and the 'Don't do its' I would like some REAL WORLD INFO from people that have TOWED WITH THIS SETUP before. Not speculation, but ACTUAL experience. We camp mostly in a 1 to 3 hour trip from home, in Wisconsin. Someday we might take a trip to Florida, or some other destination that has approx. 1,000 to 1,500 miles one way. What have been your experiences? Did you up-grade to the dually after a close call, or do you still pull with the 3/4 ton? I have been looking hard at the trailers I see, and it seems like very few are being pulled by dually's. I know that does not make it right, I am experienced in bumper pulling a TT that is too much for the TV, and it is not fun, but I know 5ers are a different beast all in all.

So thank you for your input, and please no bashing of the idea, I have read every other post here and it seems to happen, but I see so few posts by the actually 3/4 ton owners, and that is why I am asking this question.

2011 Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let your SAFETY numbers be your guide. If you're not over your GVWR or GAWR you should have no problem.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not enough payload in 3/4 ton diesel. Spend the $600 for the SRW 1-ton minimum.

My friend towed 14k pound loaded 5er barely under all his ratings with a 2003 3/4 ton for 2 years. Got a dually now and is amazed at the difference in stability.

* This post was edited 08/08/12 02:28pm by APT *

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA/ Bullhead City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck will pull for sure. Spring pack and footprint is the difference. GM says you can pull a couple thousand pounds more with the dually, lots of singles pulling heavy however.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you tow the Fuzion? SURE

Can you tow the Fuzion safely? DEPENDING ON THE WEIGHT - NOT LIKELY

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you said not to say, "Don't do it."
But, don't do it.

The trailer you are looking at has a dry weight of almost 13K and a listed pin weight of 3000 lbs.+.

A 3/4 ton is not going to cut it.

Anyway, you are being wise by asking and researching first. Hopefully you will take advice.
Good luck with it.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real World experience here.... 3/4 ton 4X4 SRW Chevy Silverado towing a 37ft 5th wheel 13,000 lb. Got rid of it after a few trips and changed to a 1 ton dually crewcab. Much happier towing experience.

The 3/4 ton would pull the 5th wheel about the same as the dually. The dually felt more stable towing in wind and on winding roads. The main difference was in stopping or going downhill. It was scary trying to stop when towing with the 3/4 ton. I had to leave lots of room to make sure I could stop.

Downhill was always in first gear and lots of braking to keep from over revving. Any other gear and I would lose brakes. The dually was a little bit better and I could use 2nd gear on grades less than 6%.

Now I have my dream tow vehicle and enjoy my trips...no worries. Chevy C4500 MDT Kodiak,dually,crewcab with Duramax diesel and Allison trans with exhaust brake. It's nirvana...

jack0351

Santee, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the same setup, but I started out with a 34' pull behind Toyhauler and an 04 F250. The 250 COULD do it, but it didn't feel like there was much left. Plus everytime a rig passed me, I scurried to the shoulder so I could get ready for the sway that was coming. After about 6 months, and half a dozen trips, I upgraded to a 00 F350 dually. I felt SO much more relaxed because the truck could handle everything much better (I was no longer white knuckling the drive) I really enjoy the extra stability the dually gives me.

I know you dont want the weight police response, but your rig is just a little smaller than my Voltage, and I upgraded to an F450 so that I could safely tow it. Hindsight being 20/20, I could probably have towed it just fine with the F350, but again, I feel safer with the 450.

That's my 2 pennies for the day. Hope that helps.

2013 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 w/Aisin
2012 Dutchmen Voltage V3600 Toyhauler
2000 Harley FXST

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why does adding two wheels, a good margin of safety, and a buch of capacity make something unusable during day today activities? If your 3/4 will fit then the dually will fit. (use the mirror rule, if your side view mirrors fit then the dually will fit.)

My dad tows a 14k fiver with a 3/4 ton dodge. He has survived just fine but is currently looking for a dually now.

Enjoy the search but please get the right tool for the job. Remember a hd truck does a fine job doing normal truck stuff like hardware store runs, groceries etc. however, unlike a less capable truck it can handle the job when called on.

Whatever you decide just stay under capacity and you will be fine.

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

Kordog

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your input. I am currently looking for a dually. Thanks again!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 3/4 Ton GM Fifth Wheel Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS