RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Montana High Country or Cedar Creek Silverback???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana High Country or Cedar Creek Silverback???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
hunter_rv

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for 1st 5th wheel. I have my choices narrowed down to these two options. Can anyone with experience provide some insight of what option they would prefer and why.

I know people are passionate about their brand. I don't want to start any arguments; I am just hoping to get some real world advice based on experiences not perceptions.

Right now, I have them in a dead-even tie. My intentions are to look for a unit that will last for at least 8+ years and be able to take the cold weather.

Thanks!

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I were going to buy a high country but after reading on the keystone rv forum, we found out that to cut down weight they started using motors for the slides that had plastic gears in them. some people were having the gears strip out as soon as the third time out camping. This was enough for us to stop thinking about that model. true as many might point out, that with all theunits out there the chance of it happening may be low, but it would hang over your head and you still can't use the manual over ride because the gears are not working.

jms1123

Chatham, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Silverback 29RE and love it. Only problem we've had are user errors.

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cedarcreeks are great units with exceptional service after the sale and a two year warranty. If it were my money I'd buy the CC everyday of the week. I'm still not a fan of the slide system in use on the High Country models.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what you consider cold weather. Neither one in my estimation will be much good for sustained temps below 20 degrees or so. Even then they will burn up lots of propane..

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were buying a new fiver today, it would be the Cedar Creek Silverback. Almost bought one, then decided to stay with what we had for another year or two. I like the construction method of the CC. Read the website about the construction methods. I also like the cathedral ceiling in the slides. Wife did not think the bling factor was as good as some others, but I'm more interested in the quality than the bling. Reliabilty over glitz for me. That's just my opinion. Good luck.

capriskier

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2011 Silverback 35RE and really like it. It had everything we wanted and even more. Just had it a year, but so far no problems at all. We are very happy with our decision.

houtrz

Lake Jackson Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ii know nothing about Mountain High Country but I do own a 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback 36L5S. That's a two bedroom bunkhouse with one and a half baths. The first three years I lived in it full time in Michigan and Ohio and now home in Texas where we use it to camp. Love it but I am not happy with the AC's. I have a non-ducted AC in the front bedroom and a 15k central AC in the living room. Have ad issues with both and after the fifth time they fixed the main AC however the AC in the bedroom is still freezing up or leaking water onto the bed and that one has been worked on five times as well and replaced once. Not sure what to do about it but I am turned off to Domectic AC systems. All my other RV's had Coleman and never had an issue.

Other than that it has served me well considering the cold winters up north. I would purchase one again.

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were comparing the Silverback to a Mountaineer by Montana I would have said go with the floor plan and dealer you are more comfortable with. Six of one half dozen of another.

But the High Country is made of lighter (sometimes cheaper) materials so I would recommend going with the Silverback…hands down. We looked at a lot of brands when we were shopping for a new fifth wheel and went with the Silverback, I’m glad we did.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
TomTom 540S XL GPS

Paul in Texas

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived 4 winters in Colorado in our DRV Mobile Suites, and only problem we had was when the temp hit 0 degrees, the suction line to the fresh water tank would freeze. A neighbor had a Montana and seemed he was always having water freeze problems. I'd stay away from Keystone

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana High Country or Cedar Creek Silverback???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS