RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do you use a slider hitch with your short bed??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Do you use a slider hitch with your short bed??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jemrgm

n/a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me tell you a little story from this past weekend. My wife and I were going to Krogers to get bread for toast. In the parking lot was a 5th wheel with one wheel off and the truck disconnected. We approached the people to see if we could be of help since we are 5th wheelers as well.

I noted that the rear window of their truck was missing and they had a piece of cardboard over it. They were from Michigan and had traveled to Atlanta to buy a repo 5th wheel. They got a good deal, but that's where their luck ended. As this was their first 5th wheel they didn't know about a slider hitch. First turn, glass gone.

To add insult to the rear window injury, on their way home the headlights shorted out so they had to exit the interstate to try to figure out what was happening. As soon as they got off the exit a passing motorist informed them that they had lost their spare tire a ways back down the road. However, they knew they didn't have a spare, so..... They had to backtrack with no lights to find their lost wheel. The lug nuts had backed off sheering two lug bolts and the tire had come off the axel.

Back on topic, though, I would definitely use a slider hitch with a short bed! We're also hopeful that they made it home safely.

riggsp

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Started out with a reese 15k and manual slide and used it several times...one time I didn't, and wish I had...now have a 15k superglide on my standard rails and I'm a believer.

Dante04SRT

East TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very good info here... In my price range (~$19-20k at most), I'll probably not be able to get the floor plan I want in a new enough unit to get the smaller, contoured nose.

One of the main reasons I've been interested in the B&W kit was the way it mounts. I was unaware that Pullrite offered a mount using the B&W hitch... Unfortunately, its over $700 just for the mount!!

TedChapman

San Bruno CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes get a slider.... I have one and didn't use it when I should have, an now have a gouge in the top cap of my right finder and tail gate.
Ted

jdog

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you kidding? Sure I use it, that's why I got it!

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE have an old Reese slider, 15K, 3,750 hitch weight and a new FW with the contoured nose. Haven't had to use the slider yet, but who knows. Only have pulled it twice. Got the slider in 2002 for our old FW, 1993 Jayco Eagle 215SD and have transferred it to two different trucks since then.

John A. Lichty

HamsHog

Fulltimer/ Palm Springs, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got 42" center of pin to rear window, 50" center of pin to outside of a very flat front cap. Wouldn't work without my SuperGlide!! It works fabulous! Nothing to worry about and very positive locking pin.

Regards, Hamshog

2009 Silverado 2500HD EC/SB Dmax/Alli - SuperGlide 18K - Firestone Bags - 265/75R16's -
2010 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 w/ Big Foot - Champion 4000W
2005 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ
2007 Fleetwood Pegasus Ultralite M-180FQ

Maine-iacs

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I use a 15K Super Glide. This one fits on std rails and is less expensive. I got it for just over $800.00 online. They now make an 18K version also. It works great!

B.O.

Same here. I went many years without and felt it wasn't necessary. One momentary lapse of attention - trying to avoid backing over someone who kept getting in the way - and blew out the rear window. Fortunately, no damage to the coach.

The superglide is automatic and fits my already installed standard bed rails.

Maine-iacs from the Great State of Maine

2002 Holiday Rambler Presidential 30SCD 5th wheel
2010 F-250 Crewcab FX4 V-10
Pullrite 15K superglide

CactusJohn

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed truck, so when I bought my 5er, I had to decide which type of sliding hitch to buy: automatic or manual. As you’ve see posted here, the automatics are a great convenience, but cost much more than the manuals. I went with the manual Reese 16K Kwik-Slide and have been very happy with it.

I slide it back every time I back up and also when I’m hitching or unhitching because of the added clearance it provides between the truck and the 5er. For my 5er, that allows me to have the tailgate down during the entire process, so I don’t have to get in and out of the truck. It’s also the only way I can access the front storage compartment while hitched.

The main function of the sliding hitch is to avoid a truck/5er jackknife collision while backing, but another advantage is that since it pushes the pivot point back ten inches, it makes the 5er respond more quickly while backing.

You should also consider getting a BedSaver, which is cheap insurance against dropping your 5er on your truck’s bed rails.

2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5er
2012 F250 Lariat SuperCab, 6.7L PSD
PullRight SuperGlide

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 5.5' bed.... yes slider is mandatory if you want to turn.
Very happy with Superglide. Let the dealer throw the cost into the trailer loan.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Do you use a slider hitch with your short bed??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS