RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

although i am ordering a class c with a chevy the ford 450 is superior to the chevy 4500 for the really big class c especially if you are towing.

the smaller class c say less than 30 feet the chevy is aok

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/12 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only problems I have had with my Chevy has been 2 of the oxygen sensors have had to be replaced at about 40,000 miles, and the check engine light is on again. My MPG has been 9.0 towing our Subaru.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

JTCHess

Woodbridge, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/12 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double diget mileage with a 6.0 Chevy? Wow, 18,000 miles on my 2008 31C Outlook and the best ever has been 8.3 mpg. Don't get me wrong I really like the Chevy, but I based my purchase on the research from these forums and fully expected 11 - 12 mpgs. Never close, at least based upon my vehicles computer. Have never figured mileage manually. Regarding towing, not bad on I-95 on the flat east coast run to Florida, but take it into the mountains and that's another story, 3900 rpm pulling I-64 west out of Richmond through the mountains at 35 mph. Thought I was going to have to stop and disconnect the CRV in order to get to the top.

2008 Winnebago 31C Outlook, Chevy Chassis

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/12 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lower profile of some of the smaller rigs will give better mpg. Also, creative math will help too. I have a 6.0 Chevy pickup, and towing a lightly loaded 6x12 enclosed trailer at 60 mph I averaged 12.5 mpg on a 2000 mile trip. I don't see how a taller, heavier motorhome with the same drivetrain will approach that.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/12 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTCHess wrote:

Double diget mileage with a 6.0 Chevy? Wow, 18,000 miles on my 2008 31C Outlook and the best ever has been 8.3 mpg. Don't get me wrong I really like the Chevy, but I based my purchase on the research from these forums and fully expected 11 - 12 mpgs...
I don't have a computer to tell me my miles per gallon. I keep a log book record of the date, odometer reading, and gallons to fill the tank on every fill. I transfer that information to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that has a forumula to calculate individual tank fills MPG and a running overall MPG. I find this information beneficial to point out problems waiting to happen. My spreadsheet shows MPG as high as 17.8 and as low as 8.8. The overall MPG over 41,000 miles is 12.1 MPG. The high was going downhill in elevation for 500 miles with a tail wind. The low was going upward in elevation against a head wind. My unit is called a B+, but what it does have over a typical Class C is a narrower front zone and a streamlined front cab-over.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

The lower profile of some of the smaller rigs will give better mpg. Also, creative math will help too. I have a 6.0 Chevy pickup, and towing a lightly loaded 6x12 enclosed trailer at 60 mph I averaged 12.5 mpg on a 2000 mile trip. I don't see how a taller, heavier motorhome with the same drivetrain will approach that.

So, you are accusing us of lying? I fear that you will have to admit to being wrong on this one. I don't use the vehicle computer and I too have an Excel spreadsheet where I have listed every fill and the mileage. It's simple math and I've got all the numbers if you want to look.

I averaged 12.5 driving from ND to AZ and 12.8 driving back home. It included mountains, two lane prairie flatland with small towns, winds of all directions and speeds. I don't tow... and since it was very early winter, there was no water on board... except in gallon jugs.

I have been very happy with my mileage. Between these two long trips, I used it as a daily driver in AZ. I got between 8.5 and 9.3 mpg in the city on my trips to the gym and shopping... including exercising the generator.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/12 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But of course the one that mumkin has will get better mileage than the "normal class C" It has no large overhead,it is more areodynamic more on the line of a class B and only has a GVWR of 12300 lbs about a ton less than most class C s. according to their website.

Libero

I can see why it gets better mileage,but to compare it to the normal class C is like compareing an apple to a pear.

Kinda the same but NOT.

But it is on a Chevy Chassis so it is keeping with the theme of the thread.

* This post was edited 08/15/12 11:10am by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

But of course the one that mumkin has will get better mileage than the "normal class C" It has no large overhead,it is more areodynamic more on the line of a class B and only has a GVWR of 12300 lbs about a ton less than most class C s. according to their website.

It may also have the 6 speed Hydramatic and newer Variable Valve Timing version of the 6.0. I'm not sure that's in the vans & cutaways yet, but I believe it's in the pickups. That will increase MPG.

Jim, "Now play nice, or Mommy will sell your souls on eBay!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Chevy can make a chassis that can stand the test of time, more power to them. When looking at new short Cs, it is either a choice between the E350/E450 or the Sprinter, so having a third choice can't hurt.

I wonder how hard it would be to get service on the Chevies though, especially in rural areas.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

If Chevy can make a chassis that can stand the test of time, more power to them. When looking at new short Cs, it is either a choice between the E350/E450 or the Sprinter, so having a third choice can't hurt.

I wonder how hard it would be to get service on the Chevies though, especially in rural areas.

When I first got my MH I went to the local Chevy dealer to inquire about service. I was told that they didn't work on motorhomes. It wasn't size since they had a lift capable of lifting it up and other Chevy trucks were there. I think it was because of the modifications that the manufacturer, Four Winds, made to the chassis and the problem of differentiating things that GM was responsible for and what Four Winds added. I phoned Chevy about it and got absolutely no help there.

That said, I have had no problem getting the chassis serviced by my local truck garage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS