RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: House and Coach Batteries-Any Suggestions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> House and Coach Batteries-Any Suggestions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RAMBLER38

NEBRASKA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a low reading on the house batteries in my Endeavor. Since have put the unit on electricity and charged up the coach batteries. They are showing 12.69 volts on the wall monitor now. Was 5.88 before the charge. Hope this will take care of it, but I had the kill switches turned off.
Does anyone have any suggested on a good place to purchase replacement batteries for both the house and the coach series.
Now have 4 six volt for the house and 2 12 volt for the chassis.
Appreciate your suggestions. Had a quote from Interstate as that is what is in there now from the OEM.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Rambler,

The whole battery discussion swings on what the goals are.

If you want the minimum number of cells then six individual two volt cells is the best of all worlds (600 amp-hours per cell, and up).

If there is room for an odd number of batteries and the choice is between six volt and twelve volt jars, twelve volt wins on capacity.

If there is room for only two batteries twelve volt wins on redundancy and six volt wins on the number of cells.

If a large inverter (1500 watts and up) is to be run at "full bore" then twelve volt wins even against six six volt (assuming equal amp-hours of capacity), due to the larger voltage drop exhibited by the thicker plates.

Flooded cells remain, for the time being, the "best bang for the buck", but the trade off is regular maintenance and a pair of wool pants.

If one does go to agm chemistry, it would be wise to heed the advice of the particular maker on charging parameters, given that the cost of such batteries may far exceed the cost of a good converter.

Most RV's are woefully low on amp-hours of capacity, and many folks abuse their battery bank by going to far lower states of charge than is good for longevity. To me, it is a no brainer to maximize the capacity.

Balanced wiring for battery banks is often hit and miss (mostly miss, I fear). It should be addressed.

No matter what voltage or chemistry is used, good charging practice need to be followed. If that is done, 2 volt, 12 volt, and 6 volt battery banks may last many years.

So, find out the goals, use what ever works for a battery bank, and go camping.

For my further thoughts on battery banks surf here:

Battery Selection

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

type in your zip code at link, and call the local distributor and ask who the local dealer is. And if you want Lifeline, try here.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sams or Costco.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try and locate the local Interstate Distributor and ask them if they have any "blemished" batteries. The blemished batteries are those that sat on a retailer's shelf for too long, and were taken back by the distributor. They are tested to make sure they are within specifications and then sell for 1/2 of retail.

Since you're buying six batteries, try and get a retailer to make you an offer you can't refuse. If that fails, try Costco or Sams as suggested by Tom N.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

abaerga

Hinterland, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two 12 volt house batts that wont take a charge. Is there an easy way to test my charger? Also, will dead house batteries be causing my generator to not start? Does it not start off the chassis batt? What exactly charges the house batts; Generator/ Shore power/ chasis alternator?

1996 Itasca Suncruiser RQ34

wilanddij

CA Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aberga wrote:

I have two 12 volt house batts that wont take a charge. Is there an easy way to test my charger? Also, will dead house batteries be causing my generator to not start? Does it not start off the chassis batt? What exactly charges the house batts; Generator/ Shore power/ chasis alternator?
You might get more answers on your Itasca here Winnebago Forum.

Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Use a stand alone battery charger and see if that will work. If you have a meter check the voltage when plugged into shore power.

Some generators start from the house batteries, and others start from the chassis batteries, it depends on the particular design.

All three should charge the house batteries. The genny and shore power do it through the converter.

G.Lewis

Boerne, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) House batteries start the generator. 2) House batteries are charged with the generator or shore power....MAYBE the alternator, depending on your setup.

"Test your charger". Check your battery charge, hook it up and check your charge 24 hours later...charged? good, not charged? Get a new one.

If your batteries are old, they could need replacintg. I replace my batteries every three years whether they need it or not. Cost? Not one of my problems when I am dry camping twenty miles from no where. Cheap insurance. JMHO

George Lewis
Boerne, TX
'99 Fleetwood Bounder 34J
Ford V10

abaerga

Hinterland, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im begonning to think it's my charger because i only get 5VDC whether on shore power or not at the house terminals, however, i do get 12VDC while the engine is running.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> House and Coach Batteries-Any Suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS