RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Anybody snow camped with their hybrid?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Anybody snow camped with their hybrid?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
gaylec

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd love to hear your experiences and see pics. Hubs and I are talking about maybe trying a winder/snow camping trip.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We didn't really plan to camp in the snow, but it happened and we just went with it. It was kinda cool, not really cold, but we still had a grand time.

We had PUGS and an electric heater as well as our furnace to supplement the electric. We did a lot of snuggling over the next few days. It was great.

Water was another story. We used the campground's facilities and carried water for cooking and coffee in our 5 gallon collapsible bladder.

I had some pics on my computer somewhere, but can't seem to find them.

Camping in the snow is fun and exciting, but getting there or back in the snow is no fun AT ALL! Been there, done that.....several times.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Only issue was going outside a few times in the night to sweep off tent end before snow got too heavy in heavy snowfalls. Ultraheat sells all you need to keep waste plumbing from freezing. Our furnace always worked fine, though we opened cabinet doors with plumbing behind them just in case. It is FUN, and we stayed warm with no problem.

How much snow? Well in biggest we camped in, the TT door was a bit hard to open in the morning as it had several inches of snow above the bottom of door. Only issue was leaving. Fortunately CG owner had several snow shovels he lent out so we could make a path. He plowed interior roads, so not too much to shovel.

I suggest you carry a shovel just in case. If you don't have a 4x4 carry some traction plates also.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup did it quite a few times deliberately with our Antigua's. Pug covers on the bunks, heated mattress pads on the beds a few electric heaters and it was nice and toasty down to about -15C/5F without any real issues or effort.

The underbelly of the Antigua's were not heated but I used the water systems anyway as full tanks of water are hard to freeze. Did have some minor issues with inside frozen pipes over the wheel well but with heat and insulation in the right spots got over that. If we had kept them I would have added Ultra Heat pads to the tanks and valves and covered the belly.

Instead I moved to the KZ slide that had much better insulation and heated/insulated belly.

Check out my webshots for lots of winter camping pics.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think we'll hold off for a nice, sunny 75 - 80 degree day. Enjoy!

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 9 mo old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

drenjoey

Gray, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 02:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we're talking winter, I'm still trying to find anything pleasant in snow camping !!!

JGRVING

BUFORD, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did...we had a trip planned to FDR State Park, about 100 miles from home....we knew there was a chance of snow, but didn't really think it would happen since we don't get much snow in GA ...but it did...it was really beautiful and we stayed plenty warm...but I admit, when we were ready to go, it was a pain, everything was a mess...outside of bunk end was covered in wet snow and slide-out had a couple of inches of snow on it...had to run hose over it to melt it, we were ready to go home ! But overall, we still had a great time....also, we once camped at Indian Springs State Park, GA in our hybrid and it got down to 18 degrees, no snow though...we were snug as a bug with the furnace and heated mattress pads......Here are some pics from the snow trip at FDR State Park...definitely a memorable trip for us.

OUR TRIP STARTED LIKE THIS:

BUT ENDED UP LIKE THIS:

FINALLY, THE SUN CAME OUT AND WE WERE READY TO ROLL !

JENNIFER AND DUANE
BUFORD, GA
'10 STARCRAFT TRAVELSTAR 217RBSS
2002 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 4.10
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've camped in the snow in a tent many times. I don't see much difference in the HTT. I would not use any of the tanks (water) since they are not freeze protected, at least not in my HTT. It would probably be much more comfortable than the tent since it has a heater.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

gaylec

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck&Gail wrote:

Yes. Only issue was going outside a few times in the night to sweep off tent end before snow got too heavy in heavy snowfalls. Ultraheat sells all you need to keep waste plumbing from freezing. Our furnace always worked fine, though we opened cabinet doors with plumbing behind them just in case. It is FUN, and we stayed warm with no problem.

How much snow? Well in biggest we camped in, the TT door was a bit hard to open in the morning as it had several inches of snow above the bottom of door. Only issue was leaving. Fortunately CG owner had several snow shovels he lent out so we could make a path. He plowed interior roads, so not too much to shovel.

I suggest you carry a shovel just in case. If you don't have a 4x4 carry some traction plates also.

WOW, now that sounds like more snow than I really want. LOL
It still sounds fun though, there is nothing more serene then waking up and looking out over snow!

gaylec

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks insanely beautiful JGRVING !! I think we are gonna have to try it sometime, just because! That was one beautiful campground BTW.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Anybody snow camped with their hybrid?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS