|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 50 CC motor scooters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Teebucket1313

Sparta, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been looking into gas motor scooters. We want to use it around the CG and stay at 50 cc size. Has anyone else looked at this? If so what do you recomend.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis & Sheri
2006 Sportcoach Encore
Good Sam Life Time Membershttp://www.rv.net/images/forum/RVN_LifetimeLogo.gif
FMCA member F399328
Car Dolly
2013 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Chevy Tahoe

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2008 Yamaha ZUMA 50cc scooter. It is all stock, 37 MPH, quiet, nice room under the seat and I have a carrier for the rear rack. It's actually a hard, lockable case that will fit a full face helmet easy. Plus almost that much space under the seat. I bought it 2 Christmas's ago for 1,350.00 + Tax. It was new, 1.2 miles on it. It runs great, electric start. They say 115 MPG I get 100 or so. Mine is a 2 stroke, the new ones are 4 stroke. You can still find the 2 strokes new at the dealers. I like them because they are lighter, more powerful and a much simpler motor. I live on a lake so I use it to scoot around here also. Very handy, street legal and 21 dollars insurance each 6 months. Most of that is theft protection. The fat tires handle the gravel/dirt roads too. Hope this helps.

"Confidence is the feeling you have before
you fully understand the situation"

1999 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
TorkLift Tie Downs
2010 Travel Lite 690FD
1996 ZX11 Ninja
2000 ZRX1100
2008 Yamaha Zuma 50 Scooter
2010 "Blue" Bulldog, "Luna"

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one way to think about scooters is the 50cc does not require a license to ride, where as the bigger ones mentioned above do.

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Kymco Super 8 150cc. They also make 5 different models of 50cc scooters. They have a two year warranty and during my investigation prior to buying mine, they are highly rated online.
Their 50cc scooters run new from $1200-$2100 (retail). They are the official scooter of the NHRA and you see them all over the place when at the drag races.
Ours has been trouble free and a blast to ride. We got a 150 because a 50 wouldn't handle both of us.
Stay away from the cheap Chinese scooters as they are are fickle and from talking to a number of dealers that handle them, basically a throw away scooter. If they break, you go buy a new one!
Here's their website:Kymco Scooters

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

LindanMick

Lee's summit

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at the Zuma also and the Honda Ruckus. I liked the Yamaha better but bought a 400 instead. We have been staying in small towns and thought it would be easier to park then the truck. The Zuma is also cooler lookig then most scooters

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned both Yamaha and Honda motorcycles (Yamaha right now). I think you would be happy with either one suggested above and both would serve you well. JMHO, but I think the quality of these 2 brands is much better than the others. You will need a motorcycle endorsement if you take it out on public roads in most states. Good luck.

workhardplayharder

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kzspree320 wrote:

50 CC takes a license in many states to ride IF you ride on a public road. Maybe not in Oregon, but it does in other states (like mine).

Most are titled as 49cc to keep them under the 50cc and higher requirement of a motorcycle license.

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

workhardplayharder wrote:

kzspree320 wrote:

50 CC takes a license in many states to ride IF you ride on a public road. Maybe not in Oregon, but it does in other states (like mine).

Most are titled as 49cc to keep them under the 50cc and higher requirement of a motorcycle license.

Louisiana is not the only state to require a motorcycle endorsement. The KEY in many states is on public roads. For example, here is the Louisiana requirement per DMV.org:

If you're looking for a convenient and affordable alternative method of transportation, a moped or scooter might be the answer. If so, it's important to be aware of the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles' (OMV's) regulations concerning licensing and registration for these vehicles.

Mopeds
In Louisiana, a motorized bicycle or moped is a pedal bicycle with a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters, and an automatic transmission that produces no more than 25 mph on a flat surface.

To operate a moped on Louisiana roads, you must be at least 15 years old and have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement. However, drivers who are between 15 and 16 years of age are restricted to operating their moped within three miles of their primary residence, unless they are traveling with a parent or guardian.

Scooters
Although scooters are becoming increasingly popular among teenagers and young adults, you may want to think twice before purchasing one to use as a primary method of transportation. According to the Louisiana State Police, gas or electric scooters do not meet the safety-equipment requirements for registration. This means that these vehicles cannot be legally driven on Louisiana roads. If you are found operating a scooter on a public roadway or the shoulder of a public roadway, you will be ticketed.

As you can see, a moped is under 50 CC and does less that 25 mph. You still need a license to ride on public roads. Louisiana is not unique in this, most states will regulate any motorized bike, moped or motorcycle on the public roads. It may not be that way in your particular state, but it is in many states and I am assuming they will travel in many states.

OP- if you are only going to be in a few states, check out those states requirements at the site HERE. Just type in motorcycle license requirements and select the states you choose. Good luck.

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrumpyGator

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little bit off topic, but I bought a Vespa 150cc scooter as my TOAD. I also bought a VersaHaul hitch to carry it. Perfect solution for someone who only needs to transport one person and various supplies when on a trip.

I love my Vespa.

2012 Nexus Phantom 31P

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 50 CC motor scooters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: