|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Sure this has been asked before But....here goes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Burwoods

Outside Toronto, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dh and I are planning a trip to Alaska, and we have looked at some of the parks online, and we do not want to be completely in the woods, but the ones that we saw, where the RV's are kind of lined up on gravel in a row, did not really float our boat, so to speak. So where do you stay that gives you that mix of a good scenic view, just enough trees/shrubs between sites so that you feel a bit of privacy. It is a long trip and a lot of money, so don't want to make to many mistakes. If it makes a difference in your responses...talking about a Class A.
Thanks I will keep searching the site incase I have missed a post like this.

Bob and Sally

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the private campgrounds are of the large gravel parking lot type. Combination of the cost to install utilities in the north country, to winterize the systems and the short seasons. To get what you are asking for, most people either stay in the government type campgrounds without utilities or they boondock along the many lakes, rivers, creeks, gravel pits, etc. that are used for impromptu overnight locations to camp. We tend to split out nights among all the types. Two or three nights we will stay in a commercial park and shower, dump, refill, etc and the others we will stay in state, federal or provincial parks or just pull off in a scenic location.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Burwoods

Outside Toronto, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We, or should I say I, (the wife) was wondering about the security of just pulling off somewhere. Perhaps I am just being a woman...lol

GrandmaCarol

Cadiz, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burwoods, I thought "Pulling off somewhere" was much easier in AK than it was going through Canada. Tell us your route, and may be we can be of more help in places you may enjoy staying. As Joe said, most places with utilities are going to be the "Parking lot" types, which I too hate!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You will be safe in Canada. I can't speak for Alaska.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IN our two month trip through Canada and around Alaska we spent 10 days in an RV park/campground. Rest of the time was spent boondocking in gravel pits, lake shores and stream banks. SOME were in the woods and others not but all were very private

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Burwoods

Outside Toronto, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandmaCarol wrote:

Burwoods, I thought "Pulling off somewhere" was much easier in AK than it was going through Canada. Tell us your route, and may be we can be of more help in places you may enjoy staying. As Joe said, most places with utilities are going to be the "Parking lot" types, which I too hate!

Canada, US, Mars, don't much care about where, just was wondering about the security. As for the Route, it is something we are playing by ear, more then likely we will take the Trans Canada Highway most of the way, then we would like to go toward Dawson City Yukon, and along what we know is a hard drive on the Top of the World Highway, entering Alaska and driving down to Anchorage. We will be taking a long look at Alberta and BC while in the area and then down the California coast, where we hope to pick up a cruise to Hawaii. That is the BIG Trip.

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be completely safe from humans and animals boondocking anywhere along the Alaska road system. Just make sure it is not marked as "no overnight camping/parking".

And yes, JoeB is spot on - most of the commercial CG's are gravel lots, and many are very tight parking spots. But, most of them are in extremely scenic areas, so it's not that big if an issue as if you were parking next to an interstate in the lower 48. You will have so much to look at and enjoy that you will barely notice the "gravel parking lot".

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take it the gravel is easier to maintain than the freezing pavement and the buckling of sorts

Mootpoint

Somewhere in North America enjoying the life!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed only one night in a gravel lot on our 2 month trip to Alaska and the Yukon. Never had any worry where ever we stayed. Thousands of places to stay just take your time doing a little searching on this site, the web and locals once you get there. The people up there are some of the best in the world we found and will certainly give you the benefit of their knowledge.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Sure this has been asked before But....here goes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS