|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> tow dolly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
guitar2

Mayfield KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there an extra safety measure I can use besides the tow straps when pulling a toad on a tow dolly?

StevenH

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed Vehicle Secure Chains

Under available accesories you will see these listed. It's a set of chains that goes from the "pan" to the vehicle.

Should be easy to make your own.

Hope this is what your looking for.

Steve

97 Beaver Patriot 40'
3126 CAT, Allison 3060
Aqua Hot

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a Demco Kar Kaddy for 25 years, previously, I now tow 4 downs. I used the safety chains attached from the dolly to the frame with S hooks. Then the fabric Tie down straps. I inserted a trailer pin the the ratch to keep it from accidentally slipping. Never ever had a problem.
Happy Trails.

dbates

Marion, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I first started using the dolly I strapped the toad down as Demco recommended by pulled the toad all the way forward to the front wheel stop but I found that the straps came loose & I even had one strap come all of the way off. I then realized that the straps won’t slide over the wheels as they are tightened so they remain a little loose behind the wheels and when you started pulling the Toad it slips back leaving the straps loose on both sides of the wheel.

With this in mind, I now pull the toad all of the way forward then back about an inch, strap it down until the tires squish. As the straps tighten the wheels is allowed to roll forward and the strap tension equalizes on both sides of the wheel. Since I started doing this (over 34,000 miles ago) I’ve never found a strap loose enough to cause a problem. I still check them within 50 miles of start and again each time I stop (about every 2 to 3 hours).

There should also be chains to hook unto the toad and chains to hook to the motorhome (remember to criss the onesa to the motorhome).

Also remember:

1. If your dolly is a little wider than the RV watch those right curbs when parking. I ground the lettering off of the right dolly tire before I realized this.

2. Make sure that you allow plenty of front end room when parking along a curb. If you have to turn too sharply when pulling out the rear of the RV swings in the opposite direction pulling the dolly into the curb causing the dolly wheels to scrap or roll over the curb.

Good luck & safe traveling.

Dave

Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

jk31668

so. new jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my mastertow dolly also has a locking hitch pin, heavy safety chains for the hitch, heavy safety chains from the dolly to the front part of the car frame. i also have the magnetic lights that run back over the car to the trunk. you do have brakes on the dolly dont you?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> tow dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS