|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Using multiple devices on a single user sign WiFi in

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

How can either the WiFi Ranger or the CTR35 independently login to the WiFi service with a username and password?

Kiwi_too wrote:

I have owned the WiFi Ranger and currently own the CTR35 and they both can accomplish what you are wanting to do.

First, Robin1953 wrote this.

I do know the answer, though.

Simple answer is that the repeaters have two radios. They take in a signal on one radio and repeat the signal through another channel. There is a configuration web interface to make this happen.

You log into your repeater (web interface). From your repeater interface you choose the wifi signal (from CG) to be repeated to your devices. When you do, if there is a password, you will be prompted to enter it. This is just like your repeater connecting to the CG router. One device connecting to another. Once your repeater is connected to the CG router, you then use your internet device (repeater). It has a signal that is sent on a separate channel to your devices. Your computers or devices will use the security you establish for this signal. The repeater also uses NAT for your local devices. The CG will not see your devices unless they have very sophisticated software.

* This post was edited 08/09/12 09:03pm by Kiwi_too *

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexnut wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

"Does this exist?"

YES! The Windy 31 will allow you to share the WiFi signal with just one computer signed in. It works with WiFi signals and cell phone broadband signal as well. I have been using a Windy 31 for a few years now.

If I were the Network Administrator at an RV park and found you were using this (and it wouldn't be all that hard to detect), you would very quickly have NO service!

You are right but I doubt most CG care that a family is sharing inside an RV. I also do not think many CG wants to spend time and money tracking down the $2-5 violators.

We also use our repeater to connect our printer and sat. BTW, the sat connection is so Dish can verify and order pay television. Streaming is over sat dish, not internet.

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kiwi_too

Hum . . . now that is beginning to make sense.

Thanks for the explanation, it's very much appreciated.

We do not use a lot of data. Just emails and a little surfing. Never videos or other high bandwidth usage. We pay as much for this monthly WiFi subscription as we do for our unlimited home cable internet service and don't feel we should have to take turns using it.

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

Kiwi_2

Hum . . . now that is beginning to make sense.

Thanks for the explanation, it's very much appreciated.

A pleasure.

Mexnut

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kiwi_too wrote:

Mexnut wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

"Does this exist?"

YES! The Windy 31 will allow you to share the WiFi signal with just one computer signed in. It works with WiFi signals and cell phone broadband signal as well. I have been using a Windy 31 for a few years now.

If I were the Network Administrator at an RV park and found you were using this (and it wouldn't be all that hard to detect), you would very quickly have NO service!

You are right but I doubt most CG care that a family is sharing inside an RV. I also do not think many CG wants to spend time and money tracking down the $2-5 violators.

We also use our repeater to connect our printer and sat. BTW, the sat connection is so Dish can verify and order pay television. Streaming is over sat dish, not internet.

But the Park he is wanting to go to has deliberately implemented rules preventing SIMULTANEOUS use of an account by multiple users. This is, no doubt, due to limited bandwidth, and anyone who circumvents the rules should be denied ANY service. I have never been to nor heard of a Park that did not have bandwidth problems. Why would anyone on this Forum be advocating THEFT of service from the Park Operator? Moreover, why should the rest of the users in that Park have to put up with poorer service because one user can't abide by the rules? JMHO

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexnut wrote:

Kiwi_too wrote:

Mexnut wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

"Does this exist?"

But the Park he is wanting to go to has deliberately implemented rules preventing SIMULTANEOUS use of an account by multiple users. This is, no doubt, due to limited bandwidth, and anyone who circumvents the rules should be denied ANY service. I have never been to nor heard of a Park that did not have bandwidth problems. Why would anyone on this Forum be advocating THEFT of service from the Park Operator? Moreover, why should the rest of the users in that Park have to put up with poorer service because one user can't abide by the rules? JMHO

Mexnut,

You probably know what they say about someone making assumptions. When I use a device like the Windy 31 to share my internet connection with my wife's computer I'm not stealing a service, I'm sharing what I paid for and can't consume all by myself. Typically, when I buy internet service provided by a CG, I'm purchasing a predetermined amount of wifi service in a 24-hour period that is capped by the CG operator or its internet provider. I have NEVER consumed any more internet access that I paid for when sharing the signal with my wife's computer. Sharing my PAID FOR allotted internet service with my wife is no different than sharing a big steak at restaurant that I PAID FOR. It's not theft!

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

Has anyone had success using a "box" to allow multiple devices to access a single user WiFi account?

At one of the campgrounds we frequent, they don't offer WiFi. Instead there is a local service that you can pay a monthly fee to and get WiFi. I'm fine with paying for that.

However, the monthly fee only allows one simultaneous login. So if my DH and I both want to check email at the same time or do a little surfing, we can't.

Is there a techno gadget "box" that will allow you to login to the service and then broadcast the signal so that multiple devices (ipad, laptop) can use the internet at the same time?

Thanks,
jpainter

I had an appartment complex in FL last year that used a similar service. It was very annoying I think we had 3 logons and you could login as many devices as you wanted but only 3 at a time.

There is a slight chance depending on their setup that a wifi repeater/extender might work though if it is like the service I had in FL that will probably not work as they somehow block extensions.

If you are using a Windows 7 Computer this article might be a help to you possibly. If you are running another OS let me know and I will see if I can find other options.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option would be make friends at the campground and see if anyone isn't using thier login, but this would be a pain and not very reliable way to go about it.

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not theft. I have never been told I could only connect one computer at a time. When I purchase internet for my site it is for my site. I do not share off site. My wife and I connect the router and use the internet. We do not share outside.

Mexnut

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Mexnut wrote:

Kiwi_too wrote:

Mexnut wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

"Does this exist?"

Mexnut,

You probably know what they say about someone making assumptions. When I use a device like the Windy 31 to share my internet connection with my wife's computer I'm not stealing a service, I'm sharing what I paid for and can't consume all by myself. Typically, when I buy internet service provided by a CG, I'm purchasing a predetermined amount of wifi service in a 24-hour period that is capped by the CG operator or its internet provider. I have NEVER consumed any more internet access that I paid for when sharing the signal with my wife's computer. Sharing my PAID FOR allotted internet service with my wife is no different than sharing a big steak at restaurant that I PAID FOR. It's not theft!

Well, actually breaking the rules and restrictions that the CG has established for it's WiFi service may not technically be theft, but it's darned close. It's all about bandwidth, and by using 2 devices simultaneously you are exceeding the limits the CG has established. Using one device for an hour vs using 2 devices for 1/2 hour is NOT the same in terms of bandwidth usage. The CG has no doubt limited the number of simultaneous connections in order to conserve bandwith and give users a decent service. What you are doing circumvents that at the expense of the other users in the Park.
Your analogy of sharing a steak is nowhere near the same issue.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Using multiple devices on a single user sign WiFi in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS