RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet overflow and water spill.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet overflow and water spill.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Iceman31

Gravelbourg, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last night I had something weird happen in my 5 year old Cruiser. The toilet was flushed and the ball valve closed but looks like the water never shut off and the bowl filled up with clean water and overflowed. My washroom is in the Fifth Wheel and the water ran down the entry steps and into the kitchen area. Needless to say we got it all cleaned up and gave the kids a lesson on making sure the toilet is fine before leaving the washroom. This morning when I was having coffee I noticed on the underside of the trailer water droplets were dripping from the fabric underneath the area where the water spill was. I am going to keep an eye on it. I am thinking this is a result of the overflow and that it will hopefully dry up in the hot warm weather we have been having. Do you think that it may be something more than this? I really don't want to peel back all of that underside fabric to expose the tanks.

2013 Ram 2500 SLT 4 x 4 c/w 5.7L & 4.10 - 6spd Auto
2013 Palomino Sabre 34TBOK-6
2012 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 3.5L
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2003 Sea Doo GTI LE
2012 Can Am Spyder RSS
2012 Arctic Cat XF 800
2009 Polaris IQ600
2000 Yamaha SRX 700

sharker6

fulltime KY, NC, FL, MA, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it's not an ongoing leak, letting it dry out and forget about it is what I'd do.

2009 30' Fleetwood Wilderness, 2008 F-250 Super Duty FX4 stump puller

Iceman31

Gravelbourg, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thetford Aqua Magic Style 2 - this is the first problem I have ever had in five years of owning this unit. I think it a great toilet. I sprayed some silicone lube on the mechanisms and on the ball valve and it seems to be working much smoother than before.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please advise what brand/model toilet you folks are having this problem with.

We need to replace our toilet and I am having trouble deciding which to buy. Online reviews indicate problems with water valves not shutting off, foot pedals breaking off, odor leaks, etc.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife did the same thing to ours a few months ago. She got up in the middle of the night, and when she flushed, she quietly eased the lever back to off so as not to wake me (never mind I sleep like a log), and it turns out that ours needs to be allowed to snap back into place to insure the water shuts off. But regardless of whether yours needs gentle easing or allowed to snap back, the main lesson is to watch it for a moment to make sure the water shuts off.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there, done that.

Our problem was the foot pedal was pushed and released too fast and a small amount of toilet paper got caught in the valve, and so the valve did not close 100% and the water kept running.

We had gone for a long walk with the dogs and when we returned there was water "flowing" out the opposite side of the trailer. My neighbor spotted it and turned off my water. Thanks again David.

It was all clear water, so we just cleaned up the obvious. I did empty the basement but there was no water in there anywhere. I guess since water runs downhill, and our trailer was not perfectly level from side to side, the water just ran out following the path of least resistance.

Now, if the basement was flooded, then I think I would have investigated further, and probably set up some fans to dry things out.

Just my one-time experience. I hope there is never a second.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have water in the insulation under a wood floor it MUST be removed. Wet insulation against wood equals a rotten floor. It will stay wet possibly for months.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I consider our situation to be "operator error" and not the fault of the toilet. I should have given the toilet a chance to actually flush instead of just sort of kicking at the pedal. My bad.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet overflow and water spill.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS