|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Front door bug screens

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
hobbssb

Santa Barbara

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using screening from OSH Hardware (6 ft @$1/foot = $6), here's the results for front door bug screens for our Sprinter.

On 3 of the sides I used 3/4" ceramic magnets, 4 per side. On the 4th side, which has rubber over the window frame and not direct contact with the metal, I used larger 1" magnets. If I was doing it again, I'd probably use the rectangular magnets over the rubber, instead of the 1" round. The magnets cost about $8. Total cost: only about $15 for a pair of screens!

The magnets are held in place by folding the screen under 1 1/2 inches to make a tube, then sewing along the edge. The magnets hold it really well on 3 sides. The rubber edge seems adequate, but not much more. I'll trade out for large magnets on the 4th side if necessary. Now for a bug test to see if it's bug-tight!

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good!

See Picture In My Profile
1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the ideas.

I am considering options for solving the same problem.

Right now, I am thinking of a flexible rubber frame and velcro.. but the magnets really look good...

If I can get a tube like flexible magnet, I would go your route.

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do make magnetic strip you can cut to length and sew into the entire edge of a screen. It comes on 10' and 25' rolls either a half or inch wide. It's flexible, can be rolled up when storing the screen, and won't harm the paint. Amazon sells it by the roll. Costs $11-$12 per roll. I'm planning on using it for my side windows.

AS for screen, I would go with the nylon they have now thats dog and cat proof. I replaced our sliding door screen 4 years ago with it and the cats climb up it and don't leave a single mark or rip. It's also flexible and can be rolled up.

2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2003 Harley Superglide Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Aikensbest

Aiken, SC. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OldRadios wrote:

They do make magnetic strip you can cut to length and sew into the entire edge of a screen. It comes on 10' and 25' rolls either a half or inch wide. It's flexible, can be rolled up when storing the screen, and won't harm the paint. Amazon sells it by the roll. Costs $11-$12 per roll. I'm planning on using it for my side windows.

AS for screen, I would go with the nylon they have now thats dog and cat proof. I replaced our sliding door screen 4 years ago with it and the cats climb up it and don't leave a single mark or rip. It's also flexible and can be rolled up.

I purchased no-seeum screen for our front side windows. I used the magnetic strip 1/2 inch,but instead of sewing I folded it around the screen and used gorilla glue to attach to the screen. It does a great job of protecting from the no-seeums and mosquitos. I did the same thing on our back door opening. Very happy with the results

Aikensbest
2001 GreatWestClassic

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a commercial set from Bug Barrier of Medina, OH, but they no longer make them. One firm that does is at skreenz.com, but I don't think they're as nice as Bug Barriers.

hobbssb

Santa Barbara

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aikensbest wrote:

I purchased no-seeum screen for our front side windows. I used the magnetic strip 1/2 inch,but instead of sewing I folded it around the screen and used gorilla glue to attach to the screen. It does a great job of protecting from the no-seeums and mosquitos. I did the same thing on our back door opening. Very happy with the results

How did you do the backdoor screen? Is it open down the middle?

Aikensbest

Aiken, SC. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The back door screen I did as a one piece all around the opening. It is easy to just lift the bottom and sides to have access. I get eaten alive by no-seeums and this enables me to leave windows open when weather permits. I don't leave the side screens on when the van is moving as the magnets are not strong enough to hold in place.

yizit

Central Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy screening material from box hardware stores. Used for windows and doors. Buy strong magnets. I bought 1x2" with a plastic cover. I used duck tape around the edges of the screens to prevent fraying. I preferred this set up because you can easily fold the screens to store. With the magnetic strip, it's harder to fold or roll.

Jim & Darlene
Pickles our Teddy Bear
2013 Roadtrek RS Adventurous (aka..Roada)
Wisconsin Dells...Water park capital of the world

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Front door bug screens
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS