RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Atlanta, Ga.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Atlanta, Ga.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Komfort 23TS

Western Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any easy way around Atlanta, Ga. Going south from Chattanooga? Thank you

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming you are heading to Florida, there is a loop highway 285, which avoids going through downtown.

Still can be lots of conjestion during rush hours-->

Coming South on I-75, you will hit lots of traffic heading into town, mornings 6:30am-10am.

Atlanta has lots of BURBS & urban sprawl, and many commute into the city.

Not any great highways to avoid Atlanta.

Best if you can avoid rush hours 6:30am- 10am, 4:30pm-7pm.

Good luck ans safe travels.

Markiemark

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 03:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a word, NO. I've tried everything, including going around via Alabama. That route effectively doubles the miles from Chattanooga to the I-10/I-75 intersection in Florida. On my last trip coming north, I bit the bullet and went straight thru and accidently found the trick.
Hit the outskirts of Atlanta around noon on Sunday, even if you have to spend a couple of extra nights in Chattanooga. Church traffic is over by then. Mostly semis driving right thru downtown. Just follow one and stay out of the right lane. Every right lane in downtown Atlanta is exit only and nobody will let you back in. After you get thru, pull into the next rest stop until your breathing returns to normal and you can pry your fingers off the steering wheel.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live just south of Chatt. and have found traveling through Atl. between 10am and 2pm is doable if no accidents. We used to go I285 but decided to go down I75, through town. It was a Friday morning, around 11am, and we had no problem. Easier than the I285 which is a racetrack continusly.

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

We live just south of Chatt. and have found traveling through Atl. between 10am and 2pm is doable if no accidents. We used to go I285 but decided to go down I75, through town. It was a Friday morning, around 11am, and we had no problem. Easier than the I285 which is a racetrack continusly.

Totally agree, if timing right, going through town, not that bad!

Markiemark

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Shoe wrote:

In a word, NO. I've tried everything, including going around via Alabama. That route effectively doubles the miles from Chattanooga to the I-10/I-75 intersection in Florida. On my last trip coming north, I bit the bullet and went straight thru and accidently found the trick.
Hit the outskirts of Atlanta around noon on Sunday, even if you have to spend a couple of extra nights in Chattanooga. Church traffic is over by then. Mostly semis driving right thru downtown. Just follow one and stay out of the right lane. Every right lane in downtown Atlanta is exit only and nobody will let you back in. After you get thru, pull into the next rest stop until your breathing returns to normal and you can pry your fingers off the steering wheel.

Semi's are not allowed to use I-85/I-75 through town, unless they are delivering. Most use the I-285 by-pass/loop highway.

Agree, stay out of right lanes due to exits & people entering, and following a semi, good advice!

Miss prime work-rush hours, I live with it, so it seems "LIGHT" at non-rush hour times. All Relative, I guess!

Take it easy, don't worry people haul butt here, just let them fly by!

Markiemark

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

Same for us. The one thing to watch for while driving thru Atlanta on I-75 is to stay away from the most outside and inside lanes. A lot of them drop off at an exit. I stay in the middle lanes.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL, No!

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

63-Coupe

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid the weekday peak times, stay calm, take it easy, and pay attention. I stay in the second lane from the right, keep it at or just under the speed limit, and leave lots of stopping room between me and the vehicle ahead.

Oh yeah, we also avoid starting any discussion on redecorating, in-laws coming to visit, or anything else controversial until we are well through the core.

netaq

Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We head right thru downtown unless its rush hour (7-9 & 4-7). There's too many drivers that don't care & will just cut you off. Going thru downtown is probably 5-7 miles shorter than taking 285 from 75 on the N side to 75 on the S side. We'll use the HOV lane if traffic is heavy as that's generally faster. Navigating thru the city using the HOV lane is also easier as you don't have to worry about making any lane changes.

2012 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2 FX4
2012 Keystone Cougar HC321RES

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Atlanta, Ga.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: