|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used Diesels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
calewjohnson

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 01:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

I recently had some life changing events....(ex took my truck, I am on deployment, etc...). I am a Chevy/GM guy, however, for me to afford a truck now, I have to look at older model trucks. I have found some great prices on some used F-250 and Ram 2500 trucks.

The F-250's are 1999 and 2000 both with 7.3PSD and manual transmission. Both have approx 120,000 miles.

Both Ram 2500 trucks are 2001 with 5.9 Cummins and automatic transmission. They have 110,000 miles and 125,000 miles.

I had a friend look at them at the dealer and all look good for being over 10 years old. They look well taken care of overall.

I am looking for advice on them. I heard the 7.3PSD is a good engine, but how about with a manual transmission. How about the Ram??

Thanks for the info in advance. I am not a troll if I do not answer. Internet is slow underway and I only have a couple hours a day with a computer.

Cale

2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), Ford OEM Curt Q24 Hitch
New: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 02:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cale,

Thank you for serving.

Sorry to hear about your breakup, as someone that spent close to half of my life at Sea I feel your pain.

If it was me, I would go for the 7.3 with the Manual. Those Trucks are pretty hard to beat and 120,000 miles are nothing. A good friend of mine has well over 300,000 on his and it's still going strong.

The Cummins is a great engine but IIRC the Auto Trans was the weak link.

Please Stay Safe

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your service to us!!
Tough call, the manuals are nice hold up well. That said I am a Cummins man yes the auto was a weak link those years, but with care will serve you well.

Pick the one you can get the best deal on.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 275,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 02:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with either truck, the 47RE was fine as long as you plan on keeping it stock power wise. If you want to add a tunner for some more juice you may want to stay away from it. I work with a guy that has a 01 that has a tunner and he has not had any problems with the trans, but he changes the fluid every yaer also.

Don

Currently truck less and trailer less. Sold the 2500 Ram and ordered a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Eco-diesel. Or as I have been told on here, the slowest & weakest truck on the market

64thunderbolt

Az

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 03:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My vote is for the 7.3 but I am biased (read sig) 120K is low so they will give you many more years of good service.

Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" turbo back exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
08 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Camreal

Kerrville, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my 05 Ram 2500, no problems 140k, lots of stock power and good fuel economy.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear in mind that a 10-year old truck will begin having other issues soon.
Things like door locks, wiper motors, hoses, etc may start to fail.
You might also give consideration to the long term reliability of the trunk in that respect.

2008 Arctic Fox 1140 model
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
The Eagle Cap Owners group

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the price of the Ford 7.3, I can lay out a detailed plan for you to buy a low mileage, low risk Ford 6.0 that you can afford.

Name your price band, and let me post about how to find one.

They are cheap because everyone is scared of them.

My experience is if you find one that meets my specs (not hard), they are great trucks that have a good combination of newness, decent performance, and are quite reliable.

The trick is to find the truck --- and often, the one you want to buy is not on the market at dealers, etc. and you have to find the owner and talk them out of selling to you.

Let me know if you will consider that route.

robwen

NE OH

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from a family that has both Dodge and Ford trucks, I would lean toward the Ford chassis. We have had more electrical problems and more broken dash parts in the Dodge trucks ('98,'02 and '03). I had a lot of electrical problems with my '80s Fords (when they were 15-20 years old), but the interiors and electrics on my '99 and '03 Super Duty trucks have been trouble free. Ball joints are another story on Fords, but that's just nuts and bolts to fix. Dodge has the same problem.

If it wasn't for the rust, I would still have my '99 250 PSD and would be over 250k miles by now. I sold it with 215k in spring of 2011.

Rob a.k.a 69oiler
'03 Ford Excursion V10 4x4 3.73 XLT
'98 SunnyBrook 30DB
'05 Continental Cargo 16'x8' enclosed 9950 GVW
Former Ford IDI and 7.3 PSD guy, hope to get back into a diesel someday.

Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

For the price of the Ford 7.3, I can lay out a detailed plan for you to buy a low mileage, low risk Ford 6.0 that you can afford.

Name your price band, and let me post about how to find one.

They are cheap because everyone is scared of them.

My experience is if you find one that meets my specs (not hard), they are great trucks that have a good combination of newness, decent performance, and are quite reliable.

The trick is to find the truck --- and often, the one you want to buy is not on the market at dealers, etc. and you have to find the owner and talk them out of selling to you.

Let me know if you will consider that route.

So.... Today you are pushing 6.0 Fords.... 99% of your posts say they are cr@p....

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used Diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS