|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Scared to buy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
bps3040

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are going to purchase a new TT. We finally have it down to the Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 25 RB... but I am scared to buy one. Read on all these forums and you see nothing but warranty issues or problems with new TT. I am in construction..... and that is totally against my way of thinking. I expect No warranty issues on what I build. I put extra material and labor to keep from having problems.

It seams in TT construction, you have to accept mediocre construction. It is the norm and you have to just deal with it. It is hard for me to part with money to buy an inferior product, something you know you will have issues with. But, it looks like you do not have a choice. I guess you need to find a 2 year warranty TT, hold your nose, and take the plunge.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. We will be purchasing a new TT......while I am excited, I am also scared....hopefully the issues will be small. Thanks for listening

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are scared, then DON'T buy. Get off the new kick and buy used. Save the extra cash and depreciation for repairs and go camping. Unless you are totally excited to make a purchase it is crazy to jump into it.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What he said.

Don't forget that most of what you will read on any forum is a litany of problems of some sort. People rarely post that they have no problems, since that would make for a very boring and short lived forum.

Buy what looks good to you and hope for the best and you'll likely not be disappointed.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are problems yes, but always remember that human nature is involved....almost everyone will complain if they have a bad experience but only about 1 in 10 will mention it when they have a good experience....

jms1123

Chatham, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You also need to remember that people are more inclined to tell you about problems then not. The good tings about forums like this is if you have a problem you can usually find a "how to fix". If there where that many unhappy campers there wouldn't be something like 8.9 million of us. Even your homes need repairs/maintenance-campers are no different. You take the good with the bad.

Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a used one that someone decided not to RV and get an extended warranty. You will save money and headaches. You can find one 1 -3 years old that someone took care of and had all the bs fixed on it and save around 50%.

Buying a new one you will spend a lot of time and money getting it right and lose 20% the minute you drive it off the lot.

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

If you are scared, then DON'T buy. Get off the new kick and buy used. Save the extra cash and depreciation for repairs and go camping. Unless you are totally excited to make a purchase it is crazy to jump into it.

AMEN!

RVn Full-time

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You only have to be afraid if you rely on the salesman to give you all the info on your purchase. Research, ask a lot of questions here prior, and I also second buying used. My current TT was a year old when I bought it, I love it and I doubt I will ever buy one brand new. My fleetwood Mallard was also a little over a year old when I bought it. They both were in outstanding shape (in fact the '99 Mallard is now owned by my son - I gave it to him when I bought the Jayco. He still uses it regularly), even had the new RV smell still. Buying this way afforded me a much better deal and also not having to deal with first year 'growing pains' with a lot of quirky warranty issues. By the time I got it those quirks had been resolved.

Even buying one a couple of years old is probably a good buy. You will save a ton, and you will note that a two year old RV is almost indistinguishable from a new one if it was properly cared for. My 2005 Jayco is hard to tell from the new ones and the only way you can tell is the decals are slightly different on the new Jayflight. The floor plan and exterior otherwise are almost identical. I t still looks brand new. They change very little in just two years on most models. My Jayco was a trade in as the owner wanted something bigger so it was like getting a brand new rig. It looked like it was hardly ever used.

* This post was edited 08/10/12 08:54am by JayWalker2009 *

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally understand what your concern is. It is precisely why we have kept what we have. Yes, what you are reading is a sliver of units sold. Still the hassles dealt with by consumers are very real and worth taking note of. I believe without higher quality standards, mainly from the guys on the asembly li9ne, the RV industry will not survive. If you end up buying take time and do a total walk through check everything prior to signing. Fill the tanks,look for leaks. Ask the dealer to do a pressure test of interior and check for potential leaks around all exterior openings.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

WI Bowhunter

Shiocton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new Jayco 23B HTT and this is the families 3rd summer camping in it. I have had 0 issues with it. No warranty work, no money out of my pocket so far(except all that camping of course) and adding grease to hubs. That was the only disappointment I had, I ran the hubs for the first summer only to realize that manufacturers do not fill the grease hubs. They just put enough to get it off the line. Luckily I had no problems on the road.
So, I say find a manufacturer that has a 2 year warranty like you said and go have fun!!!

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Scared to buy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts