|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Jayco's Response to Trailer Fire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
gschindel

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
I posted earlier about the hot water tank in my 2003 Jayco 27BH starting on fire. Sorry that this is a bit of a repeat but I thought you might be interested in Jayco's finding of their investigation into my fire and I didn't want this to get lost by putting it at the end of an old post.

Jayco says the trailer didn't have and didn't need a barrier between the hot water tank and the rest of the storage compartment as there was some sort of plastic juction box hoding the wire onto the back (apparently it burned up in the fire). Newer trailers of this model have a small barrier in this compartment because now there are copper pipes back there - the new barrier is not intended to protect the connection at the back of the heater because to Jayco it doens't need protecting.

Jayco said my case does not warrent a recall of this design nor does Jayco feel that it even warrents them to warn those with this model of the potential danger. Doesn't that just give you the warm fuzzies! It happened to me it will happen again. I am very glad that my new trailer is not a Jayco.

If you know of anyone that has a travel trailer, Jayco or any other brand, where the hot water tank is part of a storrage compartment warn them to be careful. Tell them to put up a barrier so nothing can come into contact with the wire connection at the back - little crappy piece of plastic juction box or not.

Have a good rest of the summer.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They know better than admit to any design flaws. That would open up a floodgate of claims against them. They would have to be ordered to inform owners of any safety related issues, similar to the recalls for cars and consumer goods. It's all about liability.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need if you haven't yet fill out a report with the National Product Safety Commission and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. These are the people who will require a recall is there is enough evidence that a defect exists and warrants a recall. I believe you can do it on line.

gschindel

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks - I will fill out the forms/report right now. Jayco maybe able to live with themselves if another family is not as lucky as we were but I won't be able to.

It is a very sad statement that money is more important than preventing fires that could cost people their lives.

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one admits to a design flaw in Vehicle, Trailer, motorcycle or house item, then lawyers would be diving down on the product maker like starving vultures… One would have to be crazy to admit to this "improvement area" as a design flaw.

If wondering… My 2006 Jayco's H/W water in under my kid's bunk as well. Its in an open storage compartment and there is a risk of "stuff" within the storage compartment sliding into it. Especially during panic stops or driving down steel hills. Design flaw? Not too sure I'd use this strong of word. But, design "improvements" for newer models should be applied.

For my TT, I simply visited my local Home Hardware store, bought some thick wire mesh (like farmers use for rabbit cages), bought some galvanized steel strapping (that folks use to hang plumbing pipes in the air) and some steel screws. I cut / bend this steel screen and installed 5" away from my TT's H/W tank. Secured the wire mesh using steel strapping and screws. Now, the loose stuff in the storage compartment can slide slide around inside the under bunk storage area. But, this thick screen stops the stuff from slamming into the back of the H/W tank. And best of all, this galvanized thick wire mesh still allows the back of the H/W tank to air flow vent. And, it still allows me visual inspections at rear of H/W tank as well. And, it still looks nice as well. Think this mod cost me $5-$10 in materials and 30 minutes to apply.

Perhaps this DIY "mod" (better than factory) will work on your Jayco TT as well? And best of all, its much less costly than battling Jayco and their many lawyers…. DIY fix for $10 / 30 minutes or hire a lawyer to battle Jayco? Your call….

Hope this helps…

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought the 2012 Jay Flight 26BH which is essentially what your model is. They merged the standard Jay Flight 26BH and the G2 27BH into the 26BH.

I looked at mine and there was a wall protecting all connections. There was just enough room for the plastic water piping to fit through. I did have the dealer add another wall for complete enclosure so I did not bust up the styrofoam insulation from storage items.

I can only say great things about Jayco. I had a lot of issues with my previous Jayco and Jayco bent over backward fixing everything and then some. I've never seen this type of customer service and was the reason I went back.

I'm sorry for your fire but maybe there's more to it than you may know.

Just be glad no one was hurt and everything came out OK.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gschindel wrote:

Thanks - I will fill out the forms/report right now. Jayco maybe able to live with themselves if another family is not as lucky as we were but I won't be able to.

It is a very sad statement that money is more important than preventing fires that could cost people their lives.

Yes, you need to report that because it may save somebody's life someday. At least you will be bringing it to someone's attention that is in a position to do something about it. If things like this aren't reported they are treated as an isolated event. So if they get other reports they will see there is a problem existing that needs correction.

travel-lady

Apple Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well your post made me go out and look at ours and happy to say it's in a space that doesn't share any storage at all.....But thank you for posting.. it did make some of us take a another look.....Better safe than sorry....

08 PassPort 245RB
08 Dodge Mega-cab W/Hemi
03 Jayco 10X Quest Pop up
Years of Tent Camping
Pickles the camping Papillon

Leave nothing behind but your footsteps.

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Jayco does not have the issue and as one who just toured their plant this week, I was impressed with their overall operation. While they would be foolish to admit anything publicly, being a family owned operation, I would surmise their engineers are being made aware of your concern. But I would agree with prior posters, report it to consumer safety groups.

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

LBL 1206

Land Between the Lakes, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated above, maybe something else involved you aren't aware of. Strange that your trailer is 9 yrs old and this is the first incident of this occurring. Gotta be more trailers out there of your model.
Coming down awfully hard on Jayco for a 9 yr old trailer w/an isolated incident. Just sayn'.
Glad too hear that you and no family member suffered any injury as a result of this.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Jayco's Response to Trailer Fire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS