RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anybody have a good understanding how TC are built?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anybody have a good understanding how TC are built?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TC's are pretty cool. I love mine, but the more I think about how they're built the more I'm perplexed. I'm hoping somebody out there has a good understanding of a truck camper's structure and how it's able to support the weight that's exerted on it. I realize that the interior cabinets and components provide structural strength, but I have trouble wrapping my head around how the overhang doesn't collapse with the additional weight of those sleeping in it and how the lower box is supported and how the lower box supports the entire camper when it's anchored to the truck.

I've tried to locate a pic or drawing of a TC's aluminum frame, but have been unable to locate one. Finding one, I'm sure, would help me understand a little better how a TC's structure works.

Anybody else ever wondered about these things, too? Or am I alone?

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Morningstar Sunsaver PWM CC
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Hellwig Big Wig Rear SB/Torklift Talon Tiedowns w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lance sent me a full set of plans for how my 915 is framed and built,it amazes me how the extended cabover stays extended with just wood framing.They have been building them for a long time,all we have to do is maintain them so they dont collapse,lol.I think as long as you dont have more than one partner with you in the north south bed all will be fine,lol...

1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it must be like a bee hive. each piece is placed in support of the other and that much be the way it holds itself together and not fall apart on the first bump

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cantilever concept ,me thinks

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOST CAMPER FRAME

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just hope host doesnt tack weld on one side only...

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The welded metal frame makes it easier for the cab over area. The old wood TCs had 2 by 6 or 1 by 6, depending on wall thickness, running from the bottom front of the cabover to several feet back into the camper section.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,

Like Kerry said go to the Northwood Mfg site and select brochures and then part way doww they have a picture of the aluminum frame of a camper it is a small picture but it is a PDF so you can magnify it and get an idea. I don't think it looks very strong in the picture but by the time you add the interior and exterior wall material it adds a lot of strength to it.

Butch
2015 Winnebago View Profile 24V
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Orange Tangerine Pearl-Toad (on order)
2010 Can-Am 650XT Outlander Max
2012 Harley Tri Glide

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, guys. Yes, those pics do help, but I'm still not seeing what's supporting all that weight in the overcab area, especially on the bottom. That's really the one thing I have trouble wrapping my head around. I guess I need to be an engineer to figure that out, LOL.

kerry4951

East Central Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike
AF used to have a nice structural print in the 2010 brochure. Not sure if they still show the same print in the newer brochures. They even had a close up of the lower cabover corners and how they beef up that area for support. The whole diagram was rather impressive.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 65 TC mods

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anybody have a good understanding how TC are built?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS