|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BF Goodrich recall problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
jliveit

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having troubles getting my recalled BFG 235/85/16"s replaced on my 5th wheel.

Selling dealer says any replacements they are offering he can not get. Told them I was not in a hurry and could wait but he has no idea when they will get any replacements and advised I try dealers 30 miles away.

Sams Club says they can not help as they are not a dealer and are only a vendor? Will have to go to a dealer.

Two other dealers in town tell me I have to go back to my selling dealer or buy and pay for new tires and submit reciept to michelen/bfg.

Called the number bfg has listed and the lady says any dealer but its like dealers dont want to handle it.

Anyone else having problems getting them replaced.

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jliveit wrote:

Having troubles getting my recalled BFG 235/85/16"s replaced on my 5th wheel.

Selling dealer says any replacements they are offering he can not get. Told them I was not in a hurry and could wait but he has no idea when they will get any replacements and advised I try dealers 30 miles away.

This guy reports new, post-recall BFG Commercial TA tires are already in some dealer's shops: BFG Tire Recall

Since you aren't in a rush for replacements, I'd just hang on for a couple of weeks to see what becomes available.

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

Dandy Dan

Findlay, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to say that the dealer I went to was extremely helpful. Originally when I called them, they had not even heard of the recall yet. I had BFG TA's that were put on April 25 of this year but were in the recall span. The dealer had made some calls to Michelin and got different answers. Today I went over to get the new tires put on. They said that Michelin had told them go get mine off as soon as possible so there would not be any damage to the unit. They replaced them with the Michelin XPS Rib tires no charge. Even had them balanced. This seemed like a pretty good trade off since the Michelins retailed for a little over $600 more than I paid for the BFG TA's. I asked about warranty and was told that they would warrant them up to the last 2/32 and for 5 years. Kudos to my dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 (the rescue) Sarah (the rescue)
and Beau (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2005 Dodge QuadCab 2500 4x4 Hemi
2009 Open Range 337RLS
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dandy Dan wrote:

They said that Michelin had told them go get mine off as soon as possible so there would not be any damage to the unit. They replaced them with the Michelin XPS Rib tires no charge. Even had them balanced. This seemed like a pretty good trade off since the Michelins retailed for a little over $600 more than I paid for the BFG TA's. I asked about warranty and was told that they would warrant them up to the last 2/32 and for 5 years. Kudos to my dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and to Michelin.

WeBeFulltimers

Here & There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked with my tire dealer 2 days ago and my new Michelin replacements are on the rack with my name on them. Will be mounted on 8/24. No problems at all!

2007 DODGE RAM 2500 4x4 QC CTD 5.9 4SPD AUTO TIMBRENS PRODIGY B & W PATRIOT***PACBRAKE PRXB 2012 MONTANA 3585SA

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The two other dealers in town do not seem like they are being honest about it. What if the tires came on a new trailer or a new truck?

I would try sending an email to Goodrich and see if you can get a response in writing. If you can get a written response that says buy the tires and you will be reimbursed, then I guess that is an option. But phone responses from people with no signature authority carry little weight when it comes to money. Get it in writing.

I am just about leave and pick up my Nissan outboard. It had a repair covered by warranty but the dealer claims Nissan has not responded by authorizing the repair. However, I have been in communication with Nissan via email and they have no problem covering it. The dealer inflated the bill before he realized it was a warranty job. Now he is stalling. Bottom line, I am paying up front, Nissan will reimburse me for the full amount of the bill, and afterwards this dealer will be getting a visit from a Nissan regional sales rep.

I believe the problem with recalled tires is that the dealers might not get reimbursed for their labor. So there is nothing in it for them but customer goodwill. And some people, like the above Nissan dealer, place a very low value on customer goodwill.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nuwaowners.org then on to "tires/pressures and pressure pro systems" then scroll down to the next to the last post by "heyJohnM" for a PDF clicky from Michelin on which tires are a replacement. .

I'm sure at some later date the list may change. One dealer got a OK from for using the Bridgestone R-250 as a replacement. A dealer may or may not choose to be helpful.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real conflicting stories from Michelin/BFGOODRICH. My dealer called Michelin and was first told replace with any similar type tire. Then another person told him it had to be BFG's. I don't think even Michelin knows the real answer. But since there was no BFG's not on the recall that would be suitable for trailer service he did install a Michelin at no charge.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

bigmurf

Anywhere,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sams Club put mine on yesterday.

Fulltimers
2004 Montana 3655FL, Trailair pinbox and Center Pivot air ride, Disc Brakes
2004.5 Dodge 3500 Dually, 6spd, Edge Juice, RS9000, Pressure Pro System, AFE, Jake Brake, Balance Masters, Mag-Hytec, Oil Guard bypass filter.

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigmurf, what tires did you get?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BF Goodrich recall problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels