|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help with prodigy brake controller

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specialreserve wrote:

So I went out and set the power setting to 13 and didn't come close to locking the brakes up. I have it around 9 now and that seems to be the number where I can't feel the trailer pushing. I also tried the boost feature and I had it on boost 2 and that seemed real nice. I'm a little worried that when I had the power setting all the way up that the brakes didn't seem to grab as much as I thought. Should I be worried? Being that this is our first tt I don't know what to expect when using the manual knob and activating the brakes.

If the brakes were not locking at 13 why did you lower it to 9? Try with gain at 13 and no boost. If you do not feel the trailer braking when stopping in city traffic that is the setting you should use. You want enough gain that there will be adequate trailer braking if you ever have to stand on the brakes because some idiot has cut you off someday.
I have found mine works best with no boost in city traffic. I use boost 2 on the highway for times I may have to stand on the brakes.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly guys. Mine do not lock up, Especially on pavement. I can feel them stopping the TT pretty hard when I pull the lever. I found that with the new TT. after the brakes warm up. 5.5 is close to right. No they don't lock up. But they do stop the TT, Anything more and they jerk the TV. They should not jerk the TV. How do I know they are working. I had a hard stop, and I could hear the TT tires crying under hard braking. But again. they will not lockup with the lever.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A properly set up Prodigy is a set and forget. The suggestion to set the boost was all wrong.................. I use boost only on the highway. When in heavy stop and go city traffic or parking trailer in a trailer site I have no boost.

* This post was last edited 07/06/13 03:31pm by jmtandem *   View edit history

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Honestly guys. Mine do not lock up, Especially on pavement. I can feel them stopping the TT pretty hard when I pull the lever. I found that with the new TT. after the brakes warm up. 5.5 is close to right. No they don't lock up. But they do stop the TT, Anything more and they jerk the TV. They should not jerk the TV. How do I know they are working. I had a hard stop, and I could hear the TT tires crying under hard braking. But again. they will not lockup with the lever.

It does not sound to me that there is anything wrong. The trailer brakes stop the trailer, the truck brakes stop the truck and the truck is not stopping both so it is all good. Mine is the same way when I turn the controller down for in town driving, otherwise it is very jerky and trailer tires are sliding on the pavement.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So I went out and set the power setting to 13 and didn't come close to locking the brakes up. I have it around 9 now and that seems to be the number where I can't feel the trailer pushing. I also tried the boost feature and I had it on boost 2 and that seemed real nice. I'm a little worried that when I had the power setting all the way up that the brakes didn't seem to grab as much as I thought. Should I be worried? Being that this is our first tt I don't know what to expect when using the manual knob and activating the brakes

* This post was edited 07/06/13 03:31pm by jmtandem *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help with prodigy brake controller
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS