|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> To Plug or Not to Plug

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
wkrp

Southeastern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard different theories about keeping a TT plugged in to shore power or not plugging in when not in use.

As a newbie to this I would like to do the correct thing to keep everything working correctly all the time.

It may be a week or a month in between trips for us so we are looking for direction.

Thanks,

Kevin and Marcia

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT is plugged 100% of the time at home. The battery disconnect is OFF most of the time to keep the batteries from loosing water. I'll turn on the battery disconnect a few days a month, before leaving on a trip, or ahead of a severe weather forecast.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

cougar88nw

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave mine hooked to shore power 24/7 365 days a year. I don't leave the fridge/ac or heat running but everything else has been going since we purchased the TT. The batteries are original (I did install the charge wizard on my progressive dynamics converter) and I just make sure they stay topped off with distilled water. It's nice to have everything ready to go when we get RV fever, just turn the fridge on 24 hrs before we hit the road. The electric usage is minimal and it's nice to escape to the camper and watch a little TV when the house becomes a little crowded..LOL

Pilot---Mark , Co Pilot (boss)Nancy
Children:
Alyssa , Corey , Matthew, Kaylyn

Dogs: Shih-Tzu's(other children)
Max , Shelby, Twiggles

TT 2001 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE
TV 2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Diesel 6.0
Yamaha EF3000iSE/Honda EU2000i

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our 5er maybe a dozen times a year. It sits in our driveway the rest of the time. I installed a battery disconnect switch so my batteries can just sit there without doing anything. I will keep my rig plugged in while sitting in my driveway,and my batteries will be turned "off".

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a REASON to leave it plugged in, it certainly shouldn't harm anyhing (just keep an eye on the water level in your battery bank until you know if, or how much, it boils water out. If there is no REASON to leave it plugged in, why not unplug. EVERYTHING that runs full time will receive SOME wear (even electronics) though it is probably not much. If you store the RV unplugged, then keep an eye on it so you find out how long the battery remains charged if not on power. could be anywhere from a week or two to a month or two as different units use batteries harder than others. If it is too short a time, then pull the negative lead from the battery and it should remain close to fully charged for at LEAST several months. the details about how you use your RV are pretty much yours to determine and to do what works best for you.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends firstly on what type of converter/charger you have. Mine is one of the older ones that lacks a 3-stage converter, so I don't plug in shore power unless I'm going to use it, for example as housing for guests, or if I need the ref'er for the watermelon that won't fit in the house cooler. Instead, I have a battery disconnect pulled, and a Battery Minder on it 24/7 to keep the battery in good shape. But you still have to watch the water level.

wkrp

Southeastern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How and where do you install the battery disconnect and where do you purchase it?

Thanks,

Kevin and Marcia

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased mine from a local RV store. Many different types available on line. I put my switch on the wall at the battery and wired my positive lead through.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go with NATURIST - If your trailer has the smart-mode technology converter/charger then leave it plugged in 24/7... You will not have to worry about boiling out battery fluids using smart-mode charging techniques. I have been doing this with both my fifth wheel and OFF-ROAD POPUP here in my back yard for many years. My main reason of course is to maintain the battery banks. The fifth wheel is my backup fridge for the house... The fifth wheel is also my fall-back bed room as well as I have a great get-away place anytime I want to watch NASCAR or FOOTBALL games and not bother the rest of the family. Guess where I keep the cold beer...

We actually spend the night in the fifth wheel quite often...

This is also our emergency power back-up for the times like when Hurricane came through last year and knocked out our power grid for over a week. We never missed a beat here and watched HDTV everynight using the trailer OTA Antenna capabilities. Eventually the neighbors were over everynight in our PATIO area and then going back to thier dark houses using flashlights and candles.. My only problem was finding a gasoline station open that was running on backup power to pump gasoline for my 2KW Honda generator...

The OFF-ROAD POPUP is always getting my attention for keeping up with my camping off the power grid challenges. My second love is emergency communications and this involves the OFF-ROAD POPUP capabilities big time. Having it ready to go and to make changes and do test and adding new ideas gives me big pleasure...

My OFF-ROAD POPUP stay extended all the time sitting in my CAMP BACK YARD...

During the winter months I run oil-filled Electric Heaters in both trailers set to around 40 degrees and since we are not in long freeze enviroment here it doesnt require a whole lot of attention for freezing water lines etc...

I have been playing with easy up portable antenna structure for the past month with the POPUP to aid in better commuications with RACES-SKYWARN-and emergency radio comms...

Just my take on plugging in -

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WKRP - I use AMAZON to order almost anything RV related. Just go to google and type in any description you want to search for like in this case "BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH".. When it loads up in google then select "IMAGES" on the left side and then google will show PHOTOs of all the switches it found in your search. Maybe even hundreds of photos all in one place. Picjk the one you like and click on it which will take you the web page of where google foound it.

Then I get the part numbers and go to AMAZON.com which for 99% of the time will have that exact item...

You will have many many battery disconnect switches to pick from - then ask questions on here as to which one might suit your situation best...

I personally like the BLUE SEA marine quality battery switches...

I just checked google images using the above search and it netted 39 pages of battery disconnect switches to view...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> To Plug or Not to Plug
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS