|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Engine Compartment

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
boltlight

santa clarita

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Just bought a new Class A Gas Motorhome and the engine compartment occasionally gets very hot by the gas pedel,especially on hot days.Does anyone else have this problem

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Practically everyone does. 300 degree engine compartment temperature across the thermal gradient created by the thin bulkhead. You do the math.....

Various solutions help, depending on the application: add insulation to the inside of the engine compartment bulkhead, add insulation to the outside of the bulkhead such as foam or one of the purpose built wrap-around blankets.

Some people have had success by adding a sheet metal panel inside the engine compartment and using an electric fan to blow air between the sheet metal and the engine compartment bulkhead to remove heat and so reduce transfer.

A good start is to ask others when you stop for fuel or in campgrounds. There's nothing as useful as "eyes on" solutions as you can better evaluate how the solution might fit into your requirements.

I know some who have been happy with adding a radiator electric cooling fan to blow more air into the target area of their engine compartment. Others have had no success with the same solution so each remedy will be somewhat specific to the type of rig and engine.

Simply adding shielding between the exhaust and engine compartment bulkhead is magic for some rigs.

Please post some photos of the area of concern and report on your success.

boltlight

santa clarita

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks I was thinking of getting some Asbestos Shoes and Socks!

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a boat engine that gets hot. Try lining the inside of the engine cover with bubble wrap, the kind with silver on each side, 1/4" thick. Cut it to fit, spray the inside of the cover with spray on glue, then put on the bubble wrap. You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blaster Man wrote:

I have a boat engine that gets hot. Try lining the inside of the engine cover with bubble wrap, the kind with silver on each side, 1/4" thick. Cut it to fit, spray the inside of the cover with spray on glue, then put on the bubble wrap. You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Does the bubble wrap work? I'm thinking of adding it to my dog house.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine came with one layer of a bubble wrap type material on the inside of the dog house. It was hot on my foot and a noisy going up hills. I added another layer of insulation from HD which was a Jute felt type of material with silver color foil on one side. It made a world of difference. I can know drive bare foot, hear my wife telling me how to drive.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after you change your thermostat to a lower temp one... you can insulate the compartment as well as divert some air from the grill into the engine bay. Cant see the temps going much over 200 though

kdk

usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google car thermal insulation material and you will find a number of products that will work. I personally don't care for the bubble wrap stuff for this application if it is installed under the dog house. "Cool mat" looks like a pretty good quality heat shield. Along with the heat shield it will also reduce the sound with a matting of this type. I have not used it for an RV but when building my street rod I lined the fire wall and floor and you could ride bear foot and the hottest of days. Some are a lot more expensive than others, just do a little research and get what fits your budget.
Blessings KDK

06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
11 Buick Lacross

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Blaster Man wrote:

Does the bubble wrap work? I'm thinking of adding it to my dog house.

Works in the boat...should work in the MH.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Engine Compartment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS