RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Questions for those with a slide.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Questions for those with a slide.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I went and looked at a 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 today and really liked it. It has less storage and a smaller wet bath than our 1985 Lance 900, but it seemed very well made and the space with the slide out was awesome.

Here's the real issue, we didn't run the slide in, but the dealer told us that it was basically inaccessible with the slide closed. When my wife and I were discussing the camper afterwards, she commented that it would be an "inconvenience" to open the slide whenever you wanted access. When she thought about it more, she added "major inconvenience." My wife is a really smart cookie so I would like to hear from those with slides. Is it actually inaccessible? How long does it take to move the slide for access? Any other advice would be nice.

P.S. If someone has a picture of the back door open with the slide closed I'd love to see it.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW. 7.4L, Auto, 1985 Lance 900, 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can get my big behind into my 1150 without rolling the slide out. But it only takes like 5 or 10 seconds if you want to pull it out.

but.. beware of the older Arctic Fox's. 100% wood frame, and they are known to have fiberglass delamination problems. I had an '03 1140. If possible, budget permitting, look for one with the "Silver Fox" tag, that means it's an aluminum frame, not wood.

01 F350 DRW 4x4, Torklift Tie downs & Stableloads, SuperHitch, F550 Rear Suspension, Roadmaster F & R Sway Bars, Rancho 9000s, Jasper MonsterBox Tranny
2012 Eagle Cap 1160-Six 6v Golf Cart Batts, 100a truck charging circuit, 2kw Inverter,Dish Tailgator

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boatycall wrote:

I can get my big behind into my 1150 without rolling the slide out. But it only takes like 5 or 10 seconds if you want to pull it out.

but.. beware of the older Arctic Fox's. 100% wood frame, and they are known to have fiberglass delamination problems. I had an '03 1140. If possible, budget permitting, look for one with the "Silver Fox" tag, that means it's an aluminum frame, not wood.

So was your 2003 a wood or aluminum? When did they start using the aluminum frames?

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is really no inconvenience at all. If you stop along the side of the road and want in, the slide only has to be opened 6" to get to the front of the camper to grab a soda out of the frig or slide the bathroom door open. It isn't full deployment and retraction.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

It is really no inconvenience at all. If you stop along the side of the road and want in, the slide only has to be opened 6" to get to the front of the camper to grab a soda out of the frig or slide the bathroom door open. It isn't full deployment and retraction.

X 2, to all the above...No incovenience whatsoever, at my age I end up having to do it waaay more than I'd care to admit!

RamTC

NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pre-2005 AF slides were not as "deep" as the newer ones, I had no problem getting in/out with the slide fully retrated on a 2004 990. The newer AF's have a deeper slide and now it's a bit of a squeeze for me on a 2005 990.

Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey there wrote:

Hi,

I am curious as to why the dealer didn't run the slide in. Push a button and thats all. (Ten to fifteen seconds, max!) Maybe the slide didn't work correctly on that TC. Or the dealer didn't know how to do it. I would not buy any TC that required the slide to be deployed before entry, because, sooner or later, the slide will jam, or the batteries will be dead, or you'll be parked on such an incline that the slide will not deploy. My Fleetwood is fully accessable, if cramped, with the slide in. So, it is certainly possible to do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt

We didn't want to take up too much of the salesman's time so we were kind of in and out. This one was way overpriced so we knew it wasn't the one for us. We were hoping to just sneak by the sales force and see it but our ninja skills are not up to snuff and we were detected.

Hey there

Pendergrass, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I am curious as to why the dealer didn't run the slide in. Push a button and thats all. (Ten to fifteen seconds, max!) Maybe the slide didn't work correctly on that TC. Or the dealer didn't know how to do it. I would not buy any TC that required the slide to be deployed before entry, because, sooner or later, the slide will jam, or the batteries will be dead, or you'll be parked on such an incline that the slide will not deploy. My Fleetwood is fully accessable, if cramped, with the slide in. So, it is certainly possible to do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt

2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CC LB 6.0
1993 Lance Squire Lite 150 (8'6")
2001 Fleetwood Caribou 11J (11'6")

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife can easily go by our slide. I have to open it few inches. It's really not a big issue. The extra space and open layout are worth it. Also, it's worth it to be able to pass your spouse if someone else if moving in the TC.

Keep in mind that many manufacturers changed their slides quite a bit. I'd compare some models for a few years. I think most manufacturers changed their slide mechanisms over their first few years to make it better...not that the other designs didn't work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

kerry4951

East Central Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:

Boatycall wrote:

So was your 2003 a wood or aluminum? When did they start using the aluminum frames?

An 03 AF would be wood frame. Aluminum started around 05-06. You can tell if its aluminum if the wording "Silver Fox Edition" is lettered on the TC.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 65 TC mods

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Questions for those with a slide.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS