|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing uphill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
maagk

Greensburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How would you climb a mountain from a dead stop. Going to a dog show site that at the bottom of the mountain there is a traffic light. How do you recommend that I climb the hill from a dead stop. Last year I did get the light red and creeped up the hill in drive. I have an automatic with overdrive. Thank you in advance.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maagk wrote:

How would you climb a mountain from a dead stop. Going to a dog show site that at the bottom of the mountain there is a traffic light. How do you recommend that I climb the hill from a dead stop. Last year I did get the light red and creeped up the hill in drive. I have an automatic with overdrive. Thank you in advance.

Please describe the ""Mountain" how steep, how long?

What is your TV and what and how much weight are you towing. What is your gear ratio.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 275,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

maagk

Greensburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford explorer, 20' travel trailer, i do not know the grade, but it is called 3 mile hill. I am a single woman and have no idea what the gear ratio is.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn off the overdrive, Put it in drive, and mash the gas. it will go up in the best gear it can, at the best speed it can. It's an Auto. Let it do it's job. However, coming down is different. Use a gear low enough to keep you from riding the brakes, be it 2nd, or even 1st. Start down in that gear, and go slow. again, turn off the overdrive.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Mark Kovalsky

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Push your right foot as far down as you need to so that it goes the speed you want to go. If the trailer is within what your Explorer has been rated to tow it was engineering to climb that grade with the trailer with no problems. Turning off the overdrive won't make any difference, it won't be going fast enough to get into overdrive.

When I was a Ford engineer I ran tests just like this. There was an eight mile grade that we had to climb starting at a red light at the bottom. We did the test only when it was more than 95°F outside, and with a trailer that was weighted to be at the maximum the truck was rated to tow. In some cases I planted my right foot all the way on the floor and didn't lift it again until I crested the peak, eight miles later.

Mark

Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer, 1988-2007

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maagk wrote:

Which show are you going to? Are you going by the directions in the premium list?

Many times the directions in the premium list is NOT the best way to get there. I've almost killed myself a couple of times with the MH towing, following those directions. My bet is there is another better way in to the show site.

I've been to almost all of them maybe I can help you out avoid the steep grade.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floor it, ease up for the 1-2 shift and hold 2nd at full throttle to the top.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When descending a hill, it's best to use quick jabs to the brakes rather than riding them at all which makes them hot and less responsive.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

maagk

Greensburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am afraid I will blow up engine. Last year the tach was very high and it scared me. I do watch the tach always when I am towing and someone told me to always turn off the OD. I do know to go down grade to down shift, but I did not know if I had to down shift to go uphill.

chevyman2

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maagk wrote:

I guess I am afraid I will blow up engine. Last year the tach was very high and it scared me. I do watch the tach always when I am towing and someone told me to always turn off the OD. I do know to go down grade to down shift, but I did not know if I had to down shift to go uphill.

You dont. As you already know, Do not tow in OD. Leave in reg drive and just hit the gas and go uphill. All OBD II cars (computer talk) "this includes your Explorer" has a safety built in that will not allow your engine to overrev. It will shut it down before it blows up.

You will be fine. Mash the skinny pedal on the right and let her go.

Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing uphill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts