|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking at 5th wheeler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cburgener

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently was looking at a Crusader, 290 fifth wheeler. It is made by "Prime Time Manufacturing". Has all the amenities that family requires and can be pulled by a 1/2 ton Silverado.

I have been owned a tent,Pop-Up, and several TT's in my 30yrs of camping.

I know most of the RV manufacturers, but I have I have never heard Prime Time manufacturing.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

Chaarlie

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cburgener wrote:

I recently was looking at a Crusader, 290 fifth wheeler. It is made by "Prime Time Manufacturing". Has all the amenities that family requires and can be pulled by a 1/2 ton Silverado.

I have been owned a tent,Pop-Up, and several TT's in my 30yrs of camping.

I know most of the RV manufacturers, but I have I have never heard Prime Time manufacturing.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

Chaarlie

Prime Time is a newer company, but seems to have a decent rep. Your dealer, however, may be selling you a bill of goods on the 1/2-ton towable clap-trap. IF the 14% dry pin/dry wt. ratio holds up at the full GVW of nearly 11,600 lbs, you're looking at > 1,600 lbs pin wt. alone, that your truck would have to carry. Add people, fuel, hitch and "stuff", and you're well > 2,000 of cargo in the truck. Not sure if even the newest 2013 models would safely handle that much. If the ratio changes as you start adding batteries, propane bottles, "stuff", etc., it could be even heavier on the pin. Again, this is =at= GVW and while you may never tow that heavy, you still have to be prepared with the knowledge of what you're getting in to in case you =do= have to tow that heavy. I've faced having to travel a couple hundred miles with full waste tanks because the dump site I was counting on was not open. That was > 800 lbs I had not counted on carrying for more than about 35 miles. With a 3/4 ton truck, I wasn't worried, but it sure cost me more than the $5 dump fee to move it the extra distance. The mantra with fifth wheels isn't what you can =tow=, it's what you can =carry=.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 56 Year Member

Irelands child

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back we were looking at a 5er - and according to the sticker on the trailer - yep, mine would work. Then I started adding what they don't add to the equation - wheels, tires, axle (that it, the unsprung weight). Next added in water, propane, living essentials. Suddenly, there was no margin on my F150 - tires, brakes, springs, 2-3 people and those other 'things' that get thrown into that pick up bed - like a 150-200 pound hitch, firewood, barby grille, extra gas, leveling planks, the family dog - etc, etc, etc. We bought a TT instead until we could swing a bigger pick up. Jump ahead a few years, we retired, the ship didn't sink on the way towards that day, so we had a few bucks, an F350 and a 34', 12,000 5er - which is plenty of truck.

What I'm trying to say is, that salesman is looking at the GVW of the trailer, the GVWR of the combination and saying sure it will haul that 5er - but what he isn't saying is that you had best not put anything in it to live your life - but once it's out of the yard, not my problem if you want to 'live'

texn1995

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about your weights but what I can tell you is...I was looking at a Jayco HT which "is" half ton towable I had a 2007 silver ado 1500 crew cab 4x4 and my dealer advised against it.

His words were...it might work but what is your family worth. I upgraded truck and couldn't be happier

Back to the original question about the company it self I think most are comparable but you do get what you pay for.

Either way happy camping."..

/////Camping or Ridding when the AirForce will let me stay home/////
///////2009 F250--2012 Jayco 31.5 FBHS--2012 FXDWG///////

reliefman

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We own a 290rlt 2012 Crusader.We just finished a 6 week 7500 mile trip,and had no problems whatever with the trailer. We love it. I tow it with a 2012 F350 6.7. As far as towing this size trailer with a 1500 Silverado,the short answer is no.

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way too much trailer for 1/2 ton truck.

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
KZ 27TH Toy Hauler, 5,700 lb dry weight/8,000 lb GVW.

Norskeman

Oswego, New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-1500-pickup-truck/features-specs/capabilities.html

I think you will be exceeding the GVWR and GCWR of your truck.
GVWR is 6400 lbs - curb weight is about 4500 lbs. The hitch will add about 200 to 300 lbs to the truck. Now add passengers, fuel and anything in the box. That will leave you with an allowable pin weight of about 1000 lbs or so.

Not sure what year of truck you have but I would be looking for a 2500 or 3500HD (go diesel).

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS fifth wheel.
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

GregK

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What hitch weighs 200-300 pounds? My Reese 15K Pro weighs in at around 70 pounds COMPLETE. That's a difference of 1-2 passengers in the truck!

Also, curb weights are "wet" weights, meaning a full tank of fuel.

2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLSA on a seasonal site.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Crusader that is nothing but problems, I just picked it up from the dealers because the slide wont come out (2nd time). From lights not working, landing legs breaking, leaking sinks, crushed heat ductwork, slides not coming out, toilet needed replacing, rear tire carrier constantly bends and the best yet is when the black tank broke and fell out. These are just the ones I remember. So would I but another...not a chance. Its been in the shop so much I am thinking of trading it in.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ibycus

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GregK wrote:

What hitch weighs 200-300 pounds? My Reese 15K Pro weighs in at around 70 pounds COMPLETE. That's a difference of 1-2 passengers in the truck!

Also, curb weights are "wet" weights, meaning a full tank of fuel.

my superglide #4400 weighs approx 220 lbs... super rails are in addition to that.

2013 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel
2013 Dutchment rubicon 2900
Superglide 4400 (for sale)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking at 5th wheeler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts