|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Camper "Pushing"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
pryan

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks,
Got a new TT a few weeks ago and have towed it a few times. I have a 1/2 ton Chevy with a tow package, heavy duty shocks etc. The camper is pretty big and is at the limit of my TV's capacity though I believe it to be within it still (by a pound anyway!) It feels like it is pushing me however, like the front wheels don't have much grip. Is this a fact of life with my setup (and we can assume a new TV probably isn't in my immediate future) or is there something that I am missing? Use a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch with the 1500 pound WD bars. Camper appears level with the TV.
Unfortunately, it is a pretty big issue right at the moment and is causing me to reconsider camping trips that I might otherwise just jump in the truck and take. :-(
Thanks!

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pryan wrote:

Hi folks,
Got a new TT a few weeks ago and have towed it a few times. I have a 1/2 ton Chevy with a tow package, heavy duty shocks etc. The camper is pretty big and is at the limit of my TV's capacity though I believe it to be within it still (by a pound anyway!) It feels like it is pushing me however, like the front wheels don't have much grip. Is this a fact of life with my setup (and we can assume a new TV probably isn't in my immediate future) or is there something that I am missing? Use a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch with the 1500 pound WD bars. Camper appears level with the TV.
Unfortunately, it is a pretty big issue right at the moment and is causing me to reconsider camping trips that I might otherwise just jump in the truck and take. :-(
Thanks!
What are your weights? Especially your tounge weight.
1500# bars and a 1/2 ton don't usually go together.

It does sound from your description like you may need to transfer more weight to the front wheels...But with the info provided that is just a guess.

Huntindog
2010 Palomino Sabre 30BHDS
TWO bathrooms...No waiting!
MICHELIN XPS RIBS LRE
2011 Silverado Big Dually 3500 4x4 CC D/A
EQUALIZER Hitch
100% BOONDOCKING
Check out Rusty and her pups at www.bluecollarbrittanys.com

pryan

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper is about 6900 dry with a tongue weight of 936 I believe. The 1500 bars were recommended by Blue Ox actually so that's why I have them though they may be overkill.

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1/2 pickup and noticed a lot of porpoising when out on the highway. I installed a set of Firestone ride right airbags and that fixed the issue. They are worth every penny I paid for them. Nice level ride and they tightened up the rear suspension. Ultimately though you must still remain in the weight hauling/towing capacities of your TV.

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a truck stop with certified scales and ask them for an axle wt. You pull up 1 axle at a time and then go in, pay and they will give you a certified weight ticket which will have the gross wt each time you pull up of the axles already on the scale and the one added. You can then, by subtracting ea wt from the others find the weight and figure if its adjusted right. Next I'd check the brakes on that axle for adjustment and it they are even working. I have a 12,000 lb gvw Reese anti sway hitch for sale here also.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That rig is capable of hauling a lot of baggage. In your half ton, how many children and how much stuff are you putting into that 34 foot rig? Seems a lot for a half, even a heavy half.

I reckon running over a scale will be a bit frightening. Put the kids, pets, bikes and all on board when you do.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

pryan

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pryan wrote:

Camper is about 6900 dry with a tongue weight of 936 I believe. The 1500 bars were recommended by Blue Ox actually so that's why I have them though they may be overkill.

Skip the dry weight info. what is the GVW of the trailer and what TV are we talking about? What are the tow ratings of your truck

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,Killerbee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags w/compressor,Garmin RV760
Arvika pin box bike rack,Bak Flip G2 cover
5500 Onan LP,EMS-HW-50
14'Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube 2000,Splendide WD

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really need to weigh it loaded for a trip.
My gut says that 1200# bars would be about right.
But it is possible that the TW could approach 1500#s. If so, IMO that is well beyond wht a 1/2 ton is capable of. Even 1200#s is iffy.

Have you gone thru the hitch setup procedures for obtaining proper weight distribution? There's a very good sticky on it in this forum.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A set of Bilstein shocks will put a damper (pun intended) on the porpoising. They will blow the stock "HD" shocks away.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Camper "Pushing"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS