|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Blue carpet turned brown

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
islandlady

Somewhere in Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2004 TT. Bought it new. Recently we have noticed that the blue carpet has turned brown between the slide out and the wall. It must have happened when the slide was closed. The floor is not wet or soft and there is no water that we can see by raising the carpet up on the front and sides of the slide. Is there a pan or track under the slide that would hold water when the slide was out and slosh or run back to the inside when the slide was brought in? Any ideas what would turn the carpet brown? Thanks

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sun will do it. We had gold carpeting that turned green after several months any where the sun hit it for a few hours each day.

Our slides during heavy rain will collect water right at the bottom corners on the inside when the slideout is out, it's a small amount of water and there are small plastic bowls placed there by the factory. However when they installed the carpeting it draped into the bowls and would wick the water up and a small part of the carpet would be wet. I cut back the carpet so it no longer draped into the bowls and that solved the wicking problem.

nascarnutz

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check for dust first, it can get everywhere and a tiny space like that is a perfect place to build-up over the years. Grab some white paper (towel, napkin) and get it damp, gently rub over the top a couple of times and check the result. If the paper turns brown, it's probably just a little dirt built up, if the paper stays white it may have something to do with oil or grease, whichever you use to lube your slide. Good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's just a little bit of dirt :-)

Bob & Lori (BNL)
2012 Tracer 230FBS (Cupcake)
2012 Ram 1500 ST Hemi 5.7 (Smoke)
Why didn't we do this sooner ?!?!?

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT is probably dirt off of the bottom of the slide if I am understanding your problem. Before I bring in my slides I take a damp towel and wipe off the bottom of each slide as far as I can reach. For some reason only the first six or eight inches on each end have this problem and discolor the carpet.

Hope this helps.

2009 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2005 31SKT Alumascape

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/12 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous coach did exactly the same thing. I believe it is the sun and the carpet has literally changed colors.

islandlady

Somewhere in Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the slide is in, there is about a 3 feet long by one foot wide area where the carpet has turned brown. It is in an area from the edge of the slide to the wall. I have vacuumed and shampooed the whole carpet even used different cleaners but it didn't help. In the corner there is a spot where I put the table lamp for storage when we aren't using the trailer. Under that lamp it is still blue carpet. I would like to think that it has just faded but its not an area where the sun would hit it. A chair sits by that wall when the trailer is in use.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say if you see absolutely no signs of water entry, it's the sun. The sun can seriously fade colors on fabrics, carpets, etc.

islandlady

Somewhere in Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replys and please keep them coming if anyone has anything to add.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 12:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing to add, it sounds like sun fadeā€¦

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a random thought: brake dust.

I first learned about this when I thought my newish (white) Silverado was developing rust - there were tiny flecks of it across the sides and tailgate. Come to find out, when the brakes are applied, little flecks of steel can be ground off the discs and they embed themselves in the finish of the vehicle; and then rust. Of course, it's only noticeable on white...

But maybe this is blowing up onto the slide rails under the RV?? And getting dragged across the carpet?? I wonder if you set a magnet on the stain, if you'd pick up some residue??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Blue carpet turned brown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS