RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: over-inflated shipping charges by King Controls

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> over-inflated shipping charges by King Controls

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to replace the enclosure on my Jack antenna. My RV tech broke several of the LEDs on the signal strength meter while installing it on the ceiling. I called King Controls and was told that I would have to buy the entire enclosure base and the price was just over $48. In my mind I figured maybe $10 shipping as the item is about a pound, wrapped in bubble wrap, boxed and shipped. My credit card was charged $75.53. I called sales not 15 minutes ago to confirm this. The unenthusiastic salesperson that answered said "yup, no sales tax. The remainder is the shipping charge." I expressed my great dissatisfaction with the excessive shipping cost.

I paused long enough to allow him the opportunity to offer to adjust the shipping charge. Nothing. No effort to apologize or placate me in any way.

I told him that I called to express my displeasure with the excessive shipping charge. His response "I'll pass it along."

-------

King Controls: You need to better school your sales staff in customer service. Let's start with "If they're too tired to not yawn on the phone with the customer then don't take the call." The salesperson that I spoke with sounded like I interrupted their nap.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Maxi Signal

Buffalo , NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How were they shipping? If it was overnight that was a good price . I do not know if you have shipped anything lately . But Fedex and UPS overnight and two day shipping rates are out of control. They only reasonable way of shipping any more is USPS priority mail , which takes 2 to 3 days . Fedex ground and UPS ground are still reasonable as well .

gotsmart wrote:

I have to replace the enclosure on my Jack antenna. My RV tech broke several of the LEDs on the signal strength meter while installing it on the ceiling. I called King Controls and was told that I would have to buy the entire enclosure base and the price was just over $48. In my mind I figured maybe $10 shipping as the item is about a pound, wrapped in bubble wrap, boxed and shipped. My credit card was charged $75.53. I called sales not 15 minutes ago to confirm this. The unenthusiastic salesperson that answered said "yup, no sales tax. The remainder is the shipping charge." I expressed my great dissatisfaction with the excessive shipping cost.

I paused long enough to allow him the opportunity to offer to adjust the shipping charge. Nothing. No effort to apologize or placate me in any way.

I told him that I called to express my displeasure with the excessive shipping charge. His response "I'll pass it along."

-------

King Controls: You need to better school your sales staff in customer service. Let's start with "If they're too tired to not yawn on the phone with the customer then don't take the call." The salesperson that I spoke with sounded like I interrupted their nap.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you ask the total to be charged before giving them the credit card #??

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My RV tech broke several of the LEDs on the signal strength meter while installing it on the ceiling.".........hummmmmmm

Sounds like the issue should be with the RV Tech.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

JC2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

"My RV tech broke several of the LEDs on the signal strength meter while installing it on the ceiling.".........hummmmmmm

Sounds like the issue should be with the RV Tech.

Exactly. The rv tech would be the one footing the bill for the replacement part(s) and the shipping charges, which are way out of line.

2004 Newmar DSDP 4015,370hp Cummins ISL,Spartan MM Chassis,2008 Saturn Vue,FMCA #402879

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, there are thousands of Internet businesses who could EASILY give their product away and make GOOD profits from shipping and handling charges. I personally KNOW of several of them.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

call your cc co. and dispute...easy

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

exeter_acres

North of Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what is the EXACT size of the box?

UPS has made the threshold to oversized smaller and smaller.....
for a decent size box from MN to WA
about $25 sounds about right for UPS...

Not defending them mind you... just painfully aware of current shipping charges

Involved in R/C airplanes and travel and camp at many events.
www.extremeflightrc.com

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you get too upset keep in mind shipping costs have gone through the roof in the past couple of years. Economy, fuel costs, insurance all have increased for the shippers and they pass it on to us.

I bet if you went on UPS or FEDEX websites and check the price to ship 1 lb from King Controls to WA. It would run close to $25 for a 3 day ground. Regular ground would be around $16.00.

Most companies also charge for handling or packaging your shipment. Bubble wrap and boxes plus the labor to get it ready to ship costs money.

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You the OP, are at fault for NOT asking how and for how much it was being shipped.

I just bet you won't make that mistake again.

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> over-inflated shipping charges by King Controls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: